right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Can Student Deposit at Multiple Colleges Due to COVID-19 Visit Restrictions?

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey 36 replies350 threads Editor
This parent wonders whether her student can make two college deposits since they can't visit campuses due to COVID-19. https://insights.collegeconfidential.com/deposit-at-two-colleges
55 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share
«13

Replies to: Can Student Deposit at Multiple Colleges Due to COVID-19 Visit Restrictions?

  • jetmathmamajetmathmama 12 replies2 threads New Member
    I think there is the scenario of the having a May 1st school and a Jun 1st school. If you deposit on the May 1st school and they develop an online learning plan that doesn't suit you and they deny a deferral, you could conceviably deposit at the Jun 1st school. I just don't feel it is justified to take a deposit for an in person learning experience and then hold you to the deposit if the experience ends up being on line.

    I don't think we are going for the online experience but will request a deferral, but when I research it one answer I got was you need to deposit, then apply for the deferral and see if the request is granted. Hmmm ...... not sure that will work for us.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2jgdmom2jgd 109 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @jetmathmama, that is infuriating. I imagine that schools that are insisting on deposits by 5/1 will be singing a different tune when they see a lower yield as a result. All other things being equal, I'd choose the school with the 6/1 decision date.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 4966 replies86 threads Senior Member
    mom2jgd wrote: »
    @jetmathmama, that is infuriating. I imagine that schools that are insisting on deposits by 5/1 will be singing a different tune when they see a lower yield as a result. All other things being equal, I'd choose the school with the 6/1 decision date.

    Some schools, like UCLA, say they won't change their date to 6/1 because they would over enroll...which I believe in that case is probably true. They can always go to their very large waitlist after May 1.

    · Reply · Share
  • compilercompiler 62 replies29 threads Junior Member
    I read someone reported in this forum it is doable. After you decide which one you will go, just email the other one. The school may see you are off the waitlist but you will lose the decision deposit, of course. The other reason may be due to the financial aid issue and you are not able to get what you want to attend.
    · Reply · Share
  • Luckyjade2024Luckyjade2024 649 replies9 threads Member
    No, you cannot double deposit, it's unethical and harms other students looking for a spot. Our GC just sent a reminder a few days ago NOT to double deposit.

    If you have a school due 5/1 and another 6/1...call the 5/1 school and ask for a little more time to decide.

    not all are moving to 6/1 because they also need time to plan for what their incoming class will look like.
    · Reply · Share
  • lisa9521lisa9521 48 replies3 threads Junior Member
    edited April 21
    Funny how schools want us to play by the rules when they most certainly don't. My daughter is deciding between 2 schools. She was accepted to honors by both schools. School #1 let her enroll in the honors program without the SIR. School #2 required that she enroll within 72 hours of acceptance. NO problem only they want her to SIR prior to accepting honors. So basically she had 72 hours to SIR and accept or her honors acceptance would be withdrawn and given to someone else. We did ask for an extension and were denied. These colleges know the kids can't physically visit. They really need to give students more time to decide. So I don't blame a student if they have to SIR at 2 schools right now. Eventually they will have to pick 1 as their final transcript can only be sent to 1 school. But at least it buys a little time when all your research has to be done online.
    edited April 21
    · Reply · Share
  • Jolynne SmythJolynne Smyth 2783 replies131 threads Senior Member
    I think the *reasoning* for the desire for more time (separate from whether it is permitted or appropriate) is for some families a hope of possibly visiting the school before commitment.

    The language in the Common App prohibiting double deposits was something I didn’t initially realize. It’s pretty clear. :(
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2jgdmom2jgd 109 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited April 21
    Many schools have at least disclosed their plans and alternate plans and have reached out to admitted students with honesty and integrity. Whitman College has told students they will have reduced tuition if on-campus classes aren't possible. Other universities have disclosed what various options might look like: considering starting in January, delayed start but still in the fall, reduced numbers of students on campus, in "shifts" to allow single rooms. What many colleges/universities are doing is pulling additional students off waitlists and refusing to grant deferrals without deposits. THIS is unethical.

    My child is class of 2020 and his school is planning a month's late start (also, it's in the UK, where the deposit is 100% refundable). While we are not in this position, many of my peers have students who are undecided between two schools with vastly different costs of attendance, and the idea that one should "deposit at the first-choice university," regardless of how open and honest the university is about contingency plans, is something only a privileged few can afford.
    edited April 21
    · Reply · Share
  • compilercompiler 62 replies29 threads Junior Member
    edited April 21
    Mwfan1921 wrote: »
    Here's a reminder of the language that applicants who use the common app agree to:
    I affirm that I will send an enrollment deposit (or equivalent) to only one institution; sending multiple deposits (or equivalent) may result in the withdrawal of my admission offers from all institutions. [Note: students may send an enrollment deposit (or equivalent) to a second institution where they have been admitted from the waitlist, provided that they inform the first institution that they will no longer be enrolling.]

    HS guidance counselors will send only *one* final transcript. So...if you double deposit, only one school can get the student's final transcript. Schools must have final transcripts before certain things can happen, e.g., select housing, take placement exams, register for classes, execute on student loans, etc.

    Which college will receive the final transcript is per student's request, right? How can a high school counselor be requested sent more than one final transcripts if the student has decided which college is one's final choice and made a request?
    edited April 21
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 4966 replies86 threads Senior Member
    compiler wrote: »
    Mwfan1921 wrote: »
    Here's a reminder of the language that applicants who use the common app agree to:
    I affirm that I will send an enrollment deposit (or equivalent) to only one institution; sending multiple deposits (or equivalent) may result in the withdrawal of my admission offers from all institutions. [Note: students may send an enrollment deposit (or equivalent) to a second institution where they have been admitted from the waitlist, provided that they inform the first institution that they will no longer be enrolling.]

    HS guidance counselors will send only *one* final transcript. So...if you double deposit, only one school can get the student's final transcript. Schools must have final transcripts before certain things can happen, e.g., select housing, take placement exams, register for classes, execute on student loans, etc.

    Which college will receive the final transcript is per student's request, right? How can a high school counselor be requested sent more than one final transcripts if the student has decided which college is one's final choice and made a request?

    Correct, the student tells the HS GC what school to send the final transcript to.

    If a student double deposits, which is what my post was referring to....the HS GC won't send two final transcripts, so the student would still have to choose one school, thereby wasting the deposit at the second school.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nomad4Nomad4 20 replies2 threads Junior Member
    @mom2agd: you are SPOT ON correct! It's more than not visiting campus but about what has changed since a deposit was made. We are considering the same scenario to cover ourselves. While I want our son to have the full college experience for four years, if freshman year is deprived of him, then I'm not paying 100% online if it can be done elsewhere at a fraction of the costs.
    · Reply · Share
  • saltypretzelsaltypretzel 141 replies9 threads Junior Member
    edited April 22
    I submitted an appeal to a college to defer my admission to 2021 because they are across the country for me but they won't let me know of their decision until after May 1, but I need to submit a deposit for them to consider my appeal. But if I submit my deposit and they don't approve my appeal, then I can't go but am bound to it!

    So do I just say goodbye to this school!? Or do I deposit here and somewhere else in case they don't approve it?
    edited April 22
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 4966 replies86 threads Senior Member
    I submitted an appeal to a college to defer my admission to 2021 because they are across the country for me but they won't let me know of their decision until after May 1, but I need to submit a deposit for them to consider my appeal. But if I submit my deposit and they don't approve my appeal, then I can't go but am bound to it!

    So do I just say goodbye to this school!? Or do I deposit here and somewhere else in case they don't approve it?

    Is this your first choice school? Do they have clear guidelines for granting a deferral and does your request satisfy one of those reasons? Will you attend if they don't grant the deferral, or go elsewhere?

    Have you been granted a deferral anywhere else?

    I suggest you speak with someone live about the situation and press them on the likelihood they will grant your deferral request.
    · Reply · Share
  • HarryUserHarryUser 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Sounds awkward. I believe that this time will come to pass and we shall get back to normal so no need of doing things that are unfair to others such as depositing on different colleges. My idea though....
    · Reply · Share
  • SpicyPretzelSpicyPretzel 5 replies1 threads New Member
    mom2jgd wrote: »
    Many schools have at least disclosed their plans and alternate plans and have reached out to admitted students with honesty and integrity. Whitman College has told students they will have reduced tuition if on-campus classes aren't possible. Other universities have disclosed what various options might look like: considering starting in January, delayed start but still in the fall,
    .

    First I hear, would love to see more schools disclose their plans. What other schools have done so?
    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity