Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

199100101102103105»

Replies to: When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

• Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,984 Senior Member
    @jimmy12367894 -Aren't you the guy who sent me a private message? If so, I already answered you. If not, let me know and I'll answer here.
  • HSinLIHSinLI Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    edited January 22
    @Sally_Rubenstone Hi. My son has gotten accepted in his early action schools. However his grades have slipped this year. His Ap calc grade is A for first semester and maybe a B or C second semester. The whole class is doing terrible. His physics grade is A/A+, English is A, business is A+ but his social studies elective is a C+/B depending on his final(currently a B). Is he in danger of losing an acceptance. His top choice is U conn and they don’t want a mid year just a final year, we are waiting on their decisions.
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,984 Senior Member
    @HSinLI -I don't see your son in danger of losing his acceptances if his grades are what you describe here ... even the worst-case-scenario ones (C in calc, C+ in social studies). He should, of course, work hard to make sure that they don't dip any lower and to try to keep them as high as possible. If he does end up with a C in AP Calc, you can ask his guidance counselor to mention in his "Final Report" in June that the whole class did badly, if indeed that turns out to be the case. Meanwhile, I don't think he has anything to worry about as long as his grades don't continue to drop.
  • HSinLIHSinLI Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    Thanks
  • NotRescindGangNotRescindGang Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    @Sally_Rubenstone I was recently accepted to Wake Forest and I’m worried about being rescinded:

AP Calculus BC - 65 (D)
    AP Euro - 85 (B)
    AP Lit - 82 (B)
    AP Stats - 85 (B)
    AP Comp GoPo - 91 (A)
    AP US GoPo - 90 (A)
    AP Psychology - 91 (A)

I am confident that I can keep all of my grades where they are, but I am stressing out over Calculus. How should I approach it? I have been receiving tutoring and have a good relationship with the teacher, but I am just nervous if the 65 (D) will be enough to get rescinded. No criminal activities or legal troubles, just that one D in Calculus. Should I try talking to the admissions officer or will that only make the problem worse?
    @NotRescindGang -Read post #1527. The same advice applies to you. DO email your Wake Forest admission rep to explain the situation. It will NOT make the problem worse, I assure you. If the folks at Wake know that you're not slacking and that you're paying attention to your calc grade (however bad it may be) and trying hard to stay afloat, that will work very strongly in your favor. So let your admissions rep know what's going on, especially including the part about the tutoring and your good relationship with the teacher.

Are you planning to major in a STEM field where a strong grasp of calculus is expected? If so, this could affect how Wake Forest views your current calc grade. But, if not, you should be okay as long as you are proactive about explaining your situation.

You are taking a pretty ambitious course load, so this should work in your favor as well.
  • NotRescindGangNotRescindGang Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi Sally,
    I recently talked to you about my D in Calculus. However, I was caught cheating today and I have served a 1-day In School Suspension (ISS). How should I approach this in regards to wake forest? Should I expect my guidance counselor to tell them? Will it go on my final transcript that I send to Wake Forest? I am worried that my admission will be rescinded without even letting me have a chance to explain the incident. I never plan on cheating ever again in any class and my soul is worth more than what I just did. I feel completely terrible about how things have gone downhill these past few weeks and I just want to pick myself up and be assured that I will go to wake forest this fall. I would PM if I could for anonymity.
    @NotRescindGang -Talk to your guidance counselor to ask how s/he will handle the episode with Wake Forest. Also send me a PM tomorrow (or after you're done talking to your counselor) explaining exactly what you did to cheat and how your guidance counselor responded.Then I'll advise you on next steps.
  • IntStudnt213IntStudnt213 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi ma'am, I'm an international student. I recently got accepted into a selective Liberal Arts college for a major in Economics and possibly math. I just needed your guidance as i was worried about my grades. I'm enrolled in a curriculum which has only a final term exam. So even if i study hard for them, anything could go wrong on the last day. I got predicted scores from my school as 90-95 ( Math, Econ, English ) and 85-90 ( Physics, Chemistry ). I'm just anxious that if i won't be able to reach these scores even if study hard, due to mistakes on the day of the paper. How far can the scores of down from the predicted without being in any danger of a rescindance.
  • IntStudnt213IntStudnt213 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Thank you for your time in advance...
    @IntStudnt213 - I can't give you specific figures, but your acceptance will not be in jeopardy if your actual scores are somewhat below your predicted scores ... especially if some (or even ALL) of the results are just a few points below what's expected. If, however, you actually fail an exam (or get the equivalent of a "D," that would be a different story. Likewise, if multiple scores are in the "C" range, you will probably get a warning letter ... or perhaps worse. But a drop of several points on each test shouldn't affect your acceptance at all. Good luck!