right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

1112113114115116118»

Replies to: When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

  • collegestress2k18collegestress2k18 20 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    Hi! thank you for the input. I'm going into purdue as a freshman and I wasn't taking this class to get transferrable credit but rather for knowledge (the course doesn't transfer anyways). I'm a cs major and the class I'm taking is in the cs field as well. my other grades from spring semester are all A's and a B so this class would be the outlier. the problem is that the course went into the summer after high school ended meaning I was out of town frequently and fell ill for the first portion of the summer leading me to fall behind in the course.
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3010 replies1109 discussionsCC Admissions Expert Posts: 4,119 Senior Member
    @collegestress2k18 -Thanks for the additional information. Given this situation, I do NOT see Purdue rescinding your acceptance for a D in a community college course. But, even so, I suggest that you be proactive if you do get the D and write to the admission office to warn them that you earned a bad grade and explain why.

    But, frankly, I'm not sure that the admission folks will even see the community college grade if you don't ask the community college to send it. It's possible that your high school counselor will have submitted your final grades BEFORE the CC grade came in.So, if the CC grade was sent to your high school but only AFTER your final transcript went to Purdue, then your counselor may--or may not--send it to Purdue as a follow up.

    If the community college grade was NOT sent to your high school but the class was on your application or on your final transcript (but with a blank space awaiting a grade), it's possible--but not likely--that Purdue will contact you directly to ask for it..

    Do you know when and how Purdue will receive your final grade in the community college class?
    · Reply · Share
  • MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 386 Member
    I'm planning to transfer to a new college for the spring semester. If the school finds out that I applied as a transfer applicant to other colleges in the fall semester, will they rescind my acceptance?
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3010 replies1109 discussionsCC Admissions Expert Posts: 4,119 Senior Member
    @MoonKnight -I'm a bit confused by your plans and your timeline. Have you already committed to enroll at a specific college for the second semester? And did you apply to enroll there in the fall semester as well (but perhaps were deferred to spring)? So now you're waiting to see if some other college or colleges will accept you for the fall? If that's the case, there's no reason that the first school will learn about your pending applications, and your acceptance there shouldn't be in jeopardy. BUT ... if your acceptance included a "condition" stating that you could not apply elsewhere before enrolling (albeit unlikely) then you are honor-bound to withdraw your pending applications or forfeit your spring place. And if you do get accepted somewhere else for fall yet still plan to attend the first college in the spring, you need to tell the first college about your fall enrollment. Or if you are accepted somewhere for the fall and thus do NOT plan to attend the first college in the spring, you should inform them of this change right away. Sorry if I confused you but I'm a tad confused myself!
    · Reply · Share
  • MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 386 Member
    Okay, I'll try to clarify. I'm currently enrolled in College A and will be attending it in the fall. I applied as a transfer to College B and got in for the spring semester. So I'll be moving from College A in fall to College B in the spring. I did a tour on campus and I love College B but I never attended it before so I can't say I know truly what it is like to attend. There's a difference between just visiting the campus and actually attending it. There's a very low chance like 3% that I'll want to leave College B when I attend because it is my dream school but there is one thing I don't like about the school which is the safety in the general area around the campus that if it was too unsafe, would motivate me to want to leave. So I want to be prepared JUST in case and was thinking of applying as a transfer applicant in the fall to College C even though I'll most likely stay at College B. If I get in to College C, that would mean I attend College A this upcoming fall, then College B in the spring followed by either staying with College B until graduation or going to College C. My question is if College B finds out I applied as a transfer applicant to College C in the fall, would they rescind my acceptance thus not allowing me to attend College B in the spring?
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3010 replies1109 discussionsCC Admissions Expert Posts: 4,119 Senior Member
    @MoonKnight -If I'm following your sequence correctly, you don't have to apply to College C (for fall 2020) until you're already enrolled at College B. Even the most selective colleges typically have March 1 transfer deadlines so you could be at College B for a month or more before deciding your next steps. Granted, that isn't a LOT of time to make a big decision, but at least it should give you some sense of the safety issues near campus.

    So if you do decide by next March to aim for College C, you'll already be AT College B and there will be no penalty at College B for trying to transfer out. Note, however, that the College C admission folks may raise eyebrows over your very short stay at College B. so you'll have to be clear about your safety concerns in your application.

    If you want to send me a Private Message and tell me the name of College B, I'll send you my thoughts on the safety concerns there, if I have any inside scoop--which I may or may not.
    · Reply · Share
  • MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 386 Member
    Okay, thank you so much @Sally_Rubenstone !
    · Reply · Share
  • LiteraryMomLiteraryMom 7 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Hello, again, Sally. Per your suggestion that I keep you (and the forum) updated about my daughter's situation, here is where things stand now. The Dean of Admissions asked my daughter to find a class equivalent to the class she withdrew from and complete it with a grade of B or better before the college's fall term begins in September. We searched high and low, but all the local universities' and community college's summer courses are already underway, and she can't find anything to enroll in. We also looked online, but all the classes are 11 or 12 weeks long, so she couldn't finish by the deadline. She has emailed the Dean to inform her of all this, and we are waiting for a response. In the meantime, I have another question: Would it be helpful if I contacted the Dean, as well? I know colleges like to deal directly with students, but do you think it would help if I explained that the withdrawal was an ADA accommodation, and the medical condition is now resolved? Could I offer to send letters from my daughter's doctor and/or guidance counselor saying she is prepared for college? Or would that do any damage? Thank you again for your interest and advice!
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3010 replies1109 discussionsCC Admissions Expert Posts: 4,119 Senior Member
    @LiteraryMom -I don't think that you should contact the dean ... at least not yet. At this point, all of the communication should come from your daughter. Let your daughter play out the string as I suggest below and then--in a week or so--if she's really reached a dead end, you can go ahead and email the dean.

    BUT ... I think that you should still be able to find an online class that fits the bill. Just for giggles, I looked up "Online Calculus II; Summer 2019" and got a lot of hits without trying very hard and without knowing exactly what you're looking for. (You'd said your daughter dropped AP Calc BC which is why I focused on Calc II, and there were even more classes in Calc I.)

    Some of the classes I found offered self-paced study. So even if they're designed to take as much as an entire semester, your daughter could probably finish a self-paced class much sooner since she won't be in high school full time taking five or more other classes concurrently.

    If your daughter scours the online calc options and really can't find a class that meets her needs, then she should ask the dean if there's another class she could take instead (and she should offer suggestions of what IS available). It should probably in a STEM subject as well but perhaps not limited to math.

    For Calc II check out U of Wisconsin's Independent Learning: https://il.wisconsin.edu/about-il/

    And the University of Connecticut has an online Calc II class that starts next week and ends in mid-August. Would that work?
    · Reply · Share
  • LiteraryMomLiteraryMom 7 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Thank you for doing all this work to find classes -- but I write with good news. Given how difficult it was for my daughter to find a class that fit the bill, the Dean of Admissions has waived that stipulation, and my daughter is now admitted. Sally, I really appreciate your responsiveness and support as we were dealing with this.
    The lesson learned from this is: If there is any sort of change in schedule in a student's senior year, tell college Admissions Offices immediately! Don't assume that a medical or ADA situation will automatically be recognized as a valid reason for a change in courses. I'm so relieved our saga had a happy ending.
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3010 replies1109 discussionsCC Admissions Expert Posts: 4,119 Senior Member
    @LiteraryMom --Thanks for sharing the GREAT news. (I think I can hear your daughter sighing with relief here in my little study in Western MA ... and undoubtedly you, too!) Best of luck to both of you as you begin the adventure just ahead.

    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity