Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?


Replies to: When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

  • petrovichpetrovich - Posts: 180 Junior Member
    I have had a clean disciplinary record, except for an incident earlier this month in which I was given in-school suspension for bypassing my school internet filter. Will this go on my final transcript, and will schools rescind me for this? Thx
  • luchteamluchteam - Posts: 23 New Member
    My son was diagnosed with depression but we unfortunately did not notice or take him to a dr. until he had it for several months. It was probably in reaction to the death of a friend in the fall. We just found out our straight A student has all F's. (quarter grades). He has already been accepted to some higher tier universities and he is awaiting some Ivy league decisions. He has been prescribed meds and is seeing a therapist. The therapist recommended that he lighten his load and drop some planned college courses for spring quarter. He was already given a late withdrawal for one based on a medical.

    He has been doing much better and has pulled his grades up to C's--he seems to be back on track with his normal success but the make-up work has been difficult to get on top of and is bringing down his grades.

    What do we do about college admissions? His Drs. are convinced that this is just a blip in an otherwise very stable young man. They do think however, that his stressful senior year schedule added to the situation to create the "perfect storm".

    Will his colleges take his situation into consideration or just rescind? When would be the best time to contact them? Do we wait until he can show he is back on track or do we find out what they think now in case he needs to make other college plans?
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 4,088 Senior Member
    luchteam--sorry to hear of your travails. I'm sure that this is a tough time for the whole family. So what are the next steps?

    Your son needs to tell admission officials about this situation (i.e., exactly what you've told us) now--or soon. He shouldn't wait until colleges have seen his final transcript. The information will be most effective if it comes from your son but is also corroborated by his school counselor and his therapist. Different colleges will probably react in different ways. Some may rescind his acceptance; some may ask him to take a summer class or two to see if he's up to handling college level work. Some may ask him to take a gap year; some may be very sympathetic and allow him to matriculate in September (but probably under close watch, perhaps with some probation terms tacked on, too).

    You may even want to PROPOSE a "solution" before the college offers one ... e.g., the summer classes or the gap year. (If the latter, it might include an academic component, too.)

    At this point, since the Ivy verdicts are just days away, I think it makes sense to see how your son fared BEFORE the colleges learn of his downturn. Obviously, you don't have to approach the colleges that didn't admit him based on his straight-A transcript.

    But, once all the decisions are in, you need to contact all the colleges that did say yes and put your cards on the table. It's better to make this preemptive strike than it is to hope that colleges won't notice the big change on the final transcript that they'll receive in June.

    Good luck with this. Life is never a straight line, is it?
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 4,088 Senior Member
    I have had a clean disciplinary record, except for an incident earlier this month in which I was given in-school suspension for bypassing my school internet filter. Will this go on my final transcript, and will schools rescind me for this? Thx

    Shouldn't be a problem at all. Just be careful to stay out of all trouble between now and the end of the year. Even what may just seem like a senior prank to you can backfire if you're already on slightly thin ice.
  • shishzekielshishzekiel Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Did your son get rescinded? I'm in a similar situation.
  • luchteamluchteam - Posts: 23 New Member
    Sally, S will still have one more semester. His HS is on a schedule where they do 4 classes each term. This makes for 4 grading periods. Fall term he maintained a 4.0 (both semesters) and these grades were sent mid-year. He is now finishing the first semester of the second term. He will still have another semester to complete. Based on his current trend, he should be able to get back to straight A's. Will this help? Would it be ethical to wait to contact them until his GC can confirm that he is indeed back on track?

    Should he try to take the spring quarter class at the college?
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 4,088 Senior Member
    Sure, he can wait to contact the colleges until he's clearly back on track. Your eyes are open so you know that if he doesn't pull up the grades as you hope he will, you might have to face rescinded decisions late in the year. He has until May 1 to make a deposit. How far along in the final term will he be by then ... far enough along to know where his final grades for that term are heading? (And even if he's not back to all A's, a serious reversal of his downturn should suffice.)

    I don't think that a college class is necessary now. Seems like he's got enough on his plate already.
  • ramenmonsterramenmonster Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    On my college application I wrote that I would study on my own to take the AP physics c1 and c2 exams (the class isn't offered at my school). But I won't be able to finish all of the c2 curriculum before the exam so I'm only taking the first test. Will my colleges rescind acceptance? I intend to learn the material anyway, and the only reason I'm taking the exam is as proof that I learned the material - I don't intend to skip any physics classes for it. Also, should I contact them and let them know that I'm only taking the first exam?
  • rikiwikirikiwiki Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    So far I have a C in AB Calc, a B in AP physics, a B in english, an A in chinese and an A in art.
    I applied to a few ivy league schools ( i haven't got accepted to them yet, but I did get accepted to other schools that are ivy league level). When I applied I had a 3.8 GPA uw and a 4.2 weighted. I can bring that B in english up to an A-, but i was just wondering whether I should worry about that C in AB Calc and whether it will cause me to get my acceptance rescinded.
  • dancefandancefan Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I was accepted to Yale and am concerned about my second semester grades. For the first semester I got straight As but for third quarter most of those have dropped to B+. Will the overall decline in grades be a red flag?
  • Acuraman93Acuraman93 Registered User Posts: 306 Member
    Did you read the article?
    In other words, if an A student suffers a bout of senioritis and drops to a B average, it’s not a deal-breaker. But if grades plummet to C’s and D’s (or worse), it can be

    You'll be fine.
  • tbeckman3tbeckman3 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Hey guys,

    My two main schools right now are Harvey Mudd and UC Berkeley. I got a job right at the beginning of 2nd semester in order to start saving money to help pay my way through school, as it's going to be rough financially. Unfortunately, I have to work around 5 hours on 3 weeknights and every other Sunday.

    Due to adjusting to working, my AP Calc BC grade has slipped from an A to a B, and while I'm doing my best to bring it back up, it's not looking good. Am I paranoid to think that a slip like this will affect my chances to have my acceptance revoked? I've had straight A's throughout high school and am worried about this drop a lot, but I need to keep the job in order to be able to afford school. :/ I'm just worried considering my likely major is all about math, and that's where the drop is because that's where I lose the most time studying due to work.

    Any opinions would be appreciated.
  • Acuraman93Acuraman93 Registered User Posts: 306 Member
    ^ Please see my above post.
  • Fox21Fox21 Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    I was recently accepted to a university. I'm taking an online extension course that will not transfer when I matriculate; however, I'm withdrawing from the course. Should I be concerned about getting my offer rescinded?
  • hotpotato1092hotpotato1092 Registered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
    I'm just curious, when is the latest a school can rescind? For example, once the deposit is payed can they not rescind (assuming you graduate)?
Sign In or Register to comment.