Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

Replies to: When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

• Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    @xHopex -I can never speak for the colleges, but it doesn't seem likely to me that you will lose your place at Harvey Mudd.
  • TRZ111TRZ111 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Get it. Thanks Sally!
  • 15shene115shene1 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    @Sally_Rubenstone-Hi there, I applied to UCSC with my predicted scores of 30 for the IB Diploma program, which I was accepted into. However, after seeing my actual results recently of 24, I just wanted to ask if my offer will likely get rescinded. I go to an international school and our school only uses the IB program, so I don't have an GPA. Thanks in advance.
  • 15shene115shene1 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    @Sally_Rubenstone, Just to Add on, I also did the ACT and scored a 26, if that will help my case in anyway.
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    @15shene1 -I don't know the UCSD policy on this. I would assume that a 24 would be about the minimal score that would be acceptable but I really have no idea if your admission will be affected by your drop from your predicted score. You should contact UCSD directly, if your acceptance letter didn't present you with clear "conditions" for keeping your spot. You ACT score is not a factor here.

Perhaps other CC members, especially other international students who applied to UC schools, can weigh in here.

Good luck!
  • Emsmom1Emsmom1 Registered User Posts: 753 Member
    Sally-will a college likely rescind if a student has been arrested for misdemeanor pot charges (TWICE-once before acceptance but after the application was sent in and once after acceptance)? Does the school even have to be informed of this if it resulted in unsupervised probation (the student has been awarded federal financial aid-not sure if this matters in terms of telling the school)?
    @Emsmom1- Does the guidance counselor know and, if so, will s/he inform the college? Most colleges receive a School Report form from high schools right about now asking if anything has changed since the student applied. So, in some cases, the counselor might report the misdemeanors if they are known. If the counselor were to report TWO pot-related misdemeanors, the college might rescind ... and this would certainly be more likely than if there were just one.

Sometimes the college asks the student to self-report offenses, but the student need not report if not asked. And a drug conviction can affect Federal aid if it occurred during the period that the aid was received. So your daughter should be okay here. But you might want to lash her to her desk, even if you need a long cord that reaches to a distant college. After the first arrest she should have been far more careful than she was. As a parent myself, I feel your pain.
  • Emsmom1Emsmom1 Registered User Posts: 753 Member
    @Sally_Rubenstone thanks for the reply. As far as I know, the guidance counselor didn't have any knowledge of the first arrest (it's not my daughter, thank goodness, but it is a relative) and the second one happened after high school graduation and after he was accepted to the college. Since he wasn't receiving financial aid at the time of the arrest/misdemeanor conviction, does he have an obligation to report it to the school or to the federal financial aid office?
    @Emsmom1 -He should be safe with his acceptance if the school counselor doesn't report the infraction. But when he fills out his next FAFSA, he will be asked about drug CONVICTIONS (not arrests) during a period when he was receiving Federal aid. Depending on how the arrest was handled, it may not count as a "conviction." But if he wasn't actually receiving aid at the time of the conviction, he will probably be okay too. Even so, he better clean up his act before he actually starts getting the dough because it sounds like he's on thin ice.
  • bosmia27bosmia27 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi @Sally_Rubenstone I was recently accepted as a transfer to the university of miami. However last semester I failed one of my programming classes and when I sent my updated transcripts, the university asked for an explanation of my performance. I have replied and explained that my father had lost his job and that he was battling cancer as well. It was a difficult time but I assured them I would bounce back, I'm very nervous about getting my admissions rescinded and was wondering what you think would occur in a situation like this?
    @bosmia27-Was the programming class connected to your major? If so, it's possible that you will lose your acceptance in spite of the hardships at home. College officials tend to be more forgiving of high school students who get poor grades due to family problems then they are of college students. They typically expect college students to figure out how to handle these tough situations ... either by withdrawing from a class when the tide is turning against them or by making special arrangements with the professor during office hours to help stay afloat.

But, on the other hand, I'm sure that the admission folks will be sympathetic to your homefront stress, and they are probably reviewing your case right now, possibly in conjunction with the computer science department ... if the class you failed was in comp sci and that is your major. They will also be looking at the failed class in the context of your overall record.

So I think your verdict could go either way. If you have documentation proving that your dad lost his job and is fighting cancer, it would be helpful to send it right away, if you haven't done so already.

Good luck to you and to your father.
    Thanks @Sally_Rubenstone for the reply. The comp sci class isn't directly related to my major (I'm a civil engineer) it was more so just a class I took out of interest. I received an e-mail reply yesterday that merely said "Thanks" after the explanation I had sent. Does this mean I'm in the clear??
    @bosmia27 - I can't read between the lines here. My best guess is that your situation is now being reviewed and that the "Thanks" doesn't translate to "You're all set." It's merely acknowledging the receipt of your explanation. But I really can't tell.

But the fact that the comp sci class isn't directly related to your major should work in your favor. Keep me posted when you hear more (and if you DON'T hear anything by the end of next week, you should feel free to contact the university again).
    Hi @Sally_Rubenstone so I e-mailed them back and asked if there was anything I could do or anything I should know, and I received a response saying the my file was complete. What do you make of this?
    @bosmia27 -Same answer as yesterday. I can't tell. A "complete file" may simply mean that you don't need to send any more information and the admission staff will proceed with your review soon. OR ... it could be a vague way of saying, "We won't be making any changes and your status is secure." I'd vote for the first, but it could be either one. Wait a week or so and then, if you hear nothing, ask for a clarification.

Colleges really hate to rescind acceptances and to lose committed students, even when it's their own doing. So my best guess is that you'll squeak through. But I can't say at this point if U. of Miami has already tacitly told you that you're fine or if there is still a review pending.