right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

1838485868789»

Replies to: When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

• Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3016 replies1113 threadsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    @MoonKnight -If I'm following your sequence correctly, you don't have to apply to College C (for fall 2020) until you're already enrolled at College B. Even the most selective colleges typically have March 1 transfer deadlines so you could be at College B for a month or more before deciding your next steps. Granted, that isn't a LOT of time to make a big decision, but at least it should give you some sense of the safety issues near campus.

So if you do decide by next March to aim for College C, you'll already be AT College B and there will be no penalty at College B for trying to transfer out. Note, however, that the College C admission folks may raise eyebrows over your very short stay at College B. so you'll have to be clear about your safety concerns in your application.

If you want to send me a Private Message and tell me the name of College B, I'll send you my thoughts on the safety concerns there, if I have any inside scoop--which I may or may not.
    · Reply · Share
  • MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 threadsRegistered User Member
    Okay, thank you so much @Sally_Rubenstone !
    · Reply · Share
  • LiteraryMomLiteraryMom 7 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Hello, again, Sally. Per your suggestion that I keep you (and the forum) updated about my daughter's situation, here is where things stand now. The Dean of Admissions asked my daughter to find a class equivalent to the class she withdrew from and complete it with a grade of B or better before the college's fall term begins in September. We searched high and low, but all the local universities' and community college's summer courses are already underway, and she can't find anything to enroll in. We also looked online, but all the classes are 11 or 12 weeks long, so she couldn't finish by the deadline. She has emailed the Dean to inform her of all this, and we are waiting for a response. In the meantime, I have another question: Would it be helpful if I contacted the Dean, as well? I know colleges like to deal directly with students, but do you think it would help if I explained that the withdrawal was an ADA accommodation, and the medical condition is now resolved? Could I offer to send letters from my daughter's doctor and/or guidance counselor saying she is prepared for college? Or would that do any damage? Thank you again for your interest and advice!
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3016 replies1113 threadsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    @LiteraryMom -I don't think that you should contact the dean ... at least not yet. At this point, all of the communication should come from your daughter. Let your daughter play out the string as I suggest below and then--in a week or so--if she's really reached a dead end, you can go ahead and email the dean.

BUT ... I think that you should still be able to find an online class that fits the bill. Just for giggles, I looked up "Online Calculus II; Summer 2019" and got a lot of hits without trying very hard and without knowing exactly what you're looking for. (You'd said your daughter dropped AP Calc BC which is why I focused on Calc II, and there were even more classes in Calc I.)

Some of the classes I found offered self-paced study. So even if they're designed to take as much as an entire semester, your daughter could probably finish a self-paced class much sooner since she won't be in high school full time taking five or more other classes concurrently.

If your daughter scours the online calc options and really can't find a class that meets her needs, then she should ask the dean if there's another class she could take instead (and she should offer suggestions of what IS available). It should probably in a STEM subject as well but perhaps not limited to math.

For Calc II check out U of Wisconsin's Independent Learning: https://il.wisconsin.edu/about-il/

And the University of Connecticut has an online Calc II class that starts next week and ends in mid-August. Would that work?
    · Reply · Share
  • LiteraryMomLiteraryMom 7 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Thank you for doing all this work to find classes -- but I write with good news. Given how difficult it was for my daughter to find a class that fit the bill, the Dean of Admissions has waived that stipulation, and my daughter is now admitted. Sally, I really appreciate your responsiveness and support as we were dealing with this.
    The lesson learned from this is: If there is any sort of change in schedule in a student's senior year, tell college Admissions Offices immediately! Don't assume that a medical or ADA situation will automatically be recognized as a valid reason for a change in courses. I'm so relieved our saga had a happy ending.
    · Reply · Share
    @LiteraryMom --Thanks for sharing the GREAT news. (I think I can hear your daughter sighing with relief here in my little study in Western MA ... and undoubtedly you, too!) Best of luck to both of you as you begin the adventure just ahead.

· Reply · Share
  • goldensamoyedgoldensamoyed 1 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Hey Sally!
    I was accepted to Yale off the waitlist but my second-semester grades were horrible (dropped from first semester 6A's and 2B's when I got accepted to 3 A's 3B's 2C's) as a result of my grandmother passing away. Before she passed away, I had to spend most days in the hospital to take care of her because my mom has to work every day to support us. Therefore, I did not submit some of the assignments on time. After she passed away, I also bombed many tests, which caused my grades to significantly drop. Before the semester ended, I emailed the admission officer who told me I got off the waitlist and talked about my situation and predicted my final grades. I gave them the predictions for the best outcome (4A's 3B's 1C) and the worst outcome, which is my actual final grade. They replied and said "Thank you for letting us know and I’m sorry that you had such a challenging spring. I hope you can finish the year out strongly and take some time to rest and recharge after school ends."

I thought that indicated I was fine, however, I just received an email from that admission officer today saying they received my grades and they were at the lower ends of my prediction. That admission officer said they would like to call me early next week “to talk about [my] semester and how [my] summer is going”

Am I getting rescinded?
    · Reply · Share
    @goldensamoyed -I'm sorry that you're in such a stressful situation, especially so soon after the death of your grandmother, which was stressful (and sad) as well. You have my condolences.

When you talk to the admission folks at Yale, be sure to emphasize that YOU were the one who tended to your grandmother daily while your mother worked. Many teenagers lose a grandparent during high school and this may (or may not) have some impact on their grades. But it's a very different story when the teenager is as involved and as responsible as you were. So when you talk to the staff at Yale, be specific about the amount of time you spent at the hospital and what you did there. Also remind them that your mother was working to support you so that's why this obligation landed on you.

Because your final grades fell into your predicted range (albeit at the low end), I think you should be okay. The grades aren't great, of course, but they're not awful either.

Above all, be sure to insist that you are now ready to tackle a very rigorous college curriculum, explaining that you've been able to grieve your grandma and recharge your batteries over the summer so now you're eager to get back in the classroom. If the official(s) you're speaking with still seem skeptical, offer to start the first semester on academic probation and/or to meet regularly with your advisor or a dean to confirm that you're staying on track.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out. I'm optimistic!
    · Reply · Share