Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

When Do Coaches Offer Official Visits?

Replies to: When Do Coaches Offer Official Visits?

• OldScarecrowOldScarecrow Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    Here's what you should do.

1. As suggested above, treat Penn as your reach school. To the extent there is time in September, reduce your ERG time to sub-6:30 by the end of next month. Then send a summary letter making your case for why Penn should select you. Acknowledge your shortcomings and outline your plan for addressing them.

2. Send letters this week, FedExed overnight, to coaches at Wisconsin, Syracuse, BU, Northeastern and GWU. Ensure the letter is clear and presents your interest in them and your abilities without cant. Include with the letters a copy of your high school transcipt and your standardized test scores. Your letter should address the courses you will be taking this school year. Follow up at the end of next week by e-mail if you have not heard back from them. For these schools, you should be trying to get an Official Visit for September.

3. Do the same for the D-3 schools -- Wesleyan, Trinity, Colgate, Hamilton, Holy Cross and Bates. For these schools, beginning TOMORROW, start visiting them. Coordinate your on campus visits with meetings with the coaches. You should target visiting 5 schools by the end of next week. Wesleyan and Trinity can be done in back-to-back days; silmilarly Hamilton and Colgate.

4. Begin developing a list of criteria by which you will sort and select among these schools. These criteria will include academic factors, rowing factors and overall feelings for the school. You will also have to decide how intensively you wish to row in college. Obviously, D-1 programs will require a greater commitment from you. This is a big decision that you will have to make. Keep a notebook to record your impressions.

Good luck and let us know your progress.
  • SamuraiLandsharkSamuraiLandshark Registered User Posts: 3,425 Senior Member
    I would also add that emailing these things (transcript, letter, test scores) may also help speed up the process for historian.

When coaches are on road or even enjoying downtime with their family, they may not be in office to receive a FedEx package! Yet, most of them operate using email and check their work email, even when on the road. Both coaches at D's top school have travelled extensively this month - both for work and pleasure.

I would send an email with the above information and following it up with sending in the mail. A hard copy package is always nice for coaches.
    ^^Excellent point adding the e-mails.
    Historian,

Come back and let us know how your search and recruiting strategy has evolved. We are interested to hear how your college visits are going and what we can do to help.

This is a very exciting time.
  • bellybonesbellybones Registered User Posts: 134 Junior Member
    Just to make a slight correction to OldScarecrow's excellent posts--Colgate and Holy Cross compete in the Patriot League and are Division 1 programs, not Division 3.
  • thehistorian421thehistorian421 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Okay. I visited the schools in which I was most interested. I got different reactions from different coaches, but the responses from my top 2 schools, Upenn and Dartmouth, were positive. I've been working out, and have pulled 2 2ks, but failed to PR.

The UPenn coach told me that he could not promise anything, but that I was in a very good position, and that he wanted me on the team. I know that I'm going on an OV with the highest priority athletes (a bunch of Belmont Hill guys), including my club's summer A boat stroke. We talked about likely letters, and said that he would start issuing them/offering specific athletes spots on the team around the HOCR (late Ocotober, about a week before the ED deadline).

The Dartmouth coach gave me a more lukewarm response. He seemed interested, but not overenthusiastic. He suggested that I take the SAT I once more to improve my superscore (my superscore is the same as my second test sitting score - CR 720 M 710 W710), and advised me to improve my 2k by the end of September. I told him that my goals were dropping 2-3 seconds in the next few weeks, being elected captain, and securing a spot in 1v.

Going forward, my goals are to be elected captain (don't know how much this will help, but I have a good shot at it), drop 2 seconds by beginning of October, improving SAT I superscore by 50 points, a solid spot in 1v, and performing well at HOCR. I'm also taking a challenging course load at my high school.

Thanks for all the advice.
  • Cardinal16Cardinal16 Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    Good luck man! Good news from upenn. Keep all the options open and keep trying. That's what I'm doing haha.
    Yes, definitely keep all the options open.

Just because it's a likely letter doesn't mean anything until you get the letter in your hand offering you admission.

Remember, the coach may be recruiting multiple kids for 1 spot, so don't stop looking. Or applying.

Is financial aid going to be a big deal for you? If so, you will want to make sure you have multiple options in that area, too.
  • riverrunnerriverrunner Registered User Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    ^^The likely letter is an offer of admission.
    And yet, a likely letter doesn't mean he will get a spot on the team.

Most of us have heard a horror story or two about this. I know I have. A well known Ivy school sent one of these out to a friend's kid who was being recruited to play a sport.

However, even though the kid got in, the coach changed direction.

Unfortunately for my friends kid, he got so excited about it, he sent his deposit in right away. Then the coach stopped calling him. Yes, he was in, but he really wanted to play his sport.

If Historian is interested, he should keep all the options open as a hedge against his bets.
  • Cardinal16Cardinal16 Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    Well if you get a likely letter in hand be happy, youre in. But until then, keep the options open and keep practicing.
  • thehistorian421thehistorian421 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    I'm staying as open as I can with other coaches. It's definitely a bad idea to box yourself in. And the research I've done on likely letters says that 98% of applicants who get one get in. Basically either your grades have to tank, or you have to be suspended or caught cheating to screw it up.
  • riverrunnerriverrunner Registered User Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    ^^that's right, thehistorian. Samurai, I'm not sure how any recruit can be certain he will be a starter in college, what his performance trajectory will be like, or even how the coach is planning to fit him into the program. Your point is well taken that these things should be sorted out with the coach to the extent possible, before accepting a LL or making any other commitment to a school or coach.
  • sidelinessidelines Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    There's always an anecdotal story about some catastrophe or another, but likely letters are fairly precious things and coaches generally don't waste them on kids that they don't want on the team. If you get one you're probably in the school and on the team. Not too many things in life are 100%, but a likely letter is a pretty sweet thing.
    True. No guarantees about anything, riverrunner.

I am probably being cynical - we never always know the full story, only one side of it. My friend's kid could have blown the first semester grades of senior year.

I do think coaches want to be as straightforward and honest about the process with recruits, but there are some that are more honest about a recruit's chances of playing than others.
This discussion has been closed.