Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

When Do Coaches Offer Official Visits?

Replies to: When Do Coaches Offer Official Visits?

• fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    If this student is a current rower, it's likely he has team practices and his coaches will expect him to do what is needed for the team and his position there...and that will mean training for his fall season...erging long steady state pieces, right?
  • OldScarecrowOldScarecrow Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    ^That is a problem. It highlights the OP's dilemma. There simply may not be the time to get done what he needs to get done. Hence the need for a Plan B

There are ways to feather this program into his team training.
  • FrancoisVFrancoisV Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    The interesting part of OldScarecrow's training list is the fact that Historian may not have to erg 7 days a week to possibly PR, but should concentrate on cross training to shave time. Maybe it'll be a relief to hear that attempting a 2k every week for the next month isn't the only way to reach his goal. Yes, Fall will present challenges with long steady state pieces, in terms of using OldScarecrow's training list as a blueprint of sorts, but if Historian continues cross training, he will have given himself every opportunity to pull his best 2k. Good luck Historian!
    ^I think you have it right.

Perhaps, I'm old fashioned but I don't think you can get a five second improvement in such a short period of time by simply erging one's butt off. There are better and more efficient ways to build muscle mass and strength and to increase aerobic and anerobic conditioning than erging. What Historian requires is a step change in capacity. It's hard to do this solely by erging.
  • bearmombearmom Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Old Scarecrow, do you have any information for a diving recruit to HYP?
  • riverrunnerriverrunner Registered User Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    Hi bearmom and welcome to the CC Athletic Recruits board. You may want to start a new thread on this forum titled something like "Ivy Diving Recruit Question" to get the attention of people who may know some things. I'm afraid your question will get buried over here under this rowing discussion. And sorry, I don't know much about diving, but someone will! Lots of us know a good bit about Ivy recruiting in general, so ask away.
    Agree with riverrunner bearmon.

I wish I could help but diving is way above my paygrade. I am pretty useless on anything but rowing and, even there, I struggle to keep up.

Best to you.
  • fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    Has OP been back lately?
    A few days ago he reported on unofficial visits to Penn, Dartmouth and another Ivy. He's encouraged by a meeting with the Penn coach and is looking forward to his OV there.
  • thehistorian421thehistorian421 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Fall season doesn't start until September 6th. At home I'm erging and running. As far as "safer" schools go, I'm keeping in touch in BU, and trying to visit Williams, Trinity, and Hamilton. Also keeping my fingers crossed! Will report any prs.
  • elileoelileo Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    Historian: totally rooting for you! Our daughter, also a 4/21 birthday (!) dropped 4 seconds from her 2K time after several weeks solo training this summer. It can be done! And it has resulted in very close coach interest. You probably know this, but it may be worth saying: be sure to pull those pieces at your school or club boathouse when a coach is present. D was cautioned to do so by at least one Ivy coach. And though she trained at home on a borrowed erg and at the gym, she made sure to do her time trial and final 2k at the boathouse (p.s. with a teammate coxing; made all the difference). Best to you and good luck!
  • mayhewmayhew Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    ^^^Very good advice, elileo, about trying for the 2k PR with a coach present, just to really substantiate/verify the good news. Regarding 2k PRs, significant barriers and plateaux can be broken. My D, about to be a freshman rower at an ivy, dropped 13 seconds between 2 2ks that were about one month apart from one another, during her junior spring. The training between the two was nothing out of the ordinary. Needless to say, that changed everything - she went from being solidly on the radar, feeling confident with several D1 coaches, to almost overwhelming attention from all ivies, Stanford, etc. Doors were opened that we had never imagined (US Rowing, etc.) You may well amaze yourself with what you are capable of with your next 2K. Good luck! It is worth all the effort you are putting in :)
    Historian,

Stay focused. Work hard. Reach back if you need us.

Good luck.
    Historian,

Let us know how the OV goes this weekend at Penn and how we can help in your negotiations with the coaches.

Give full measure.
  • momofrowermomofrower Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    OldScarecrow,

You provide so many useful observations and advice about college rowing. Are you also familiar with post-college rowing, for example, do you have any knowledge of USRowing's training centers? My son competed in the World U23 Rowing Championships this summer and is considering his options for the future.
This discussion has been closed.