Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

seeking opinion from "old" rowing hands

mhmmmhmm Registered User Posts: 1,192 Senior Member
edited August 2011 in Athletic Recruits
hi im wondering if anyone knows the amount of non-recruited athletes on any given team? For example if 5 seniors graduate, does the coach have 5 slots, or does he have 4 slots and will need to take a walk-on? Also, does the number of slots vary year by year (this year 6 seniors graduated so there are 6 slots) or is the number is steady no matter what?
Thanks a lot.
Post edited by mhmm on

Replies to: seeking opinion from "old" rowing hands

• thehistorian421thehistorian421 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    I'm certainly not an "old rowing hand," but I have been thinking about recruitment quite a bit, and I can give you my two cents. It really depends on the team. I've read about some teams who get so many walk-on candidates that they have to cut them in try-outs. Other teams are very welcoming to walk-ons, but keep in mind if you aren't a particularly good athlete you probably won't race much, if at all. Generally, I think coaches like their teams to be very large, within reason, because it gives them the most possibilities for lineups.
  • momofrowermomofrower Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    I'm going to try to help out here as well although I am the mom of a rower, not a rower myself.

The number of seniors on the team should have no bearing on the number of slots for recruits. There is no maximum number of rowers overall. My son's college was able to have three freshmen boats last year because there were lots of strong walk-on's (some of whom heard about rowing for the first time during freshman orientation) in addition to about 5-6 recruits. In past years they only had two freshman boats- it varies depending on how many interested freshmen show up.

Last year my son was one of three seniors on the first varsity boat. In the fall I expect that the coach will fill those three seats with juniors currently on the second or third varsity boats, and maybe a sophomore if there is a really outstanding one.
This discussion has been closed.