Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Talking to Admissions Office on Unofficial/Official Visits?

thehistorian421thehistorian421 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
edited August 2011 in Athletic Recruits
If a coach has shown enough interest to invite you on an OV, is it possible/common for him to talk to the admissions office while you are on campus, and get feedback from them on your chances of admittance?

Thanks
Post edited by thehistorian421 on

Replies to: Talking to Admissions Office on Unofficial/Official Visits?

• fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    NO

at the ivies it wasn't done.

In our experience, the official was offerred after the pre-read....which meant admissions already had a first pass at your transcripts/scores etc..and sometimes essays etc. The coaches won't spend their money to bring you in if you aren't cleared with a pre-read.

if its on your dime--thats different...

Generally if you are offer an official it will be to see how you match the school, coaches,team etc. When you leave the official you will have a general idea about where you stand in the pack...however they bring in about 3x as many as they offer LLs.

There are several threads in this forum outlining alot of this. I suggest you search this forum - you will find alot of good advice already documented.
  • TheGFGTheGFG Registered User Posts: 6,219 Senior Member
    Foghog is correct. However, I'd like to mention that at Harvard, during the official visit my D and the other recruits did indeed have an interview with admissions. It was this same adcom who later called to say she'd be receiving a likely letter.
This discussion has been closed.