Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Athletic supplement/ EC/ Common Ap?

landedlanded Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited September 2011 in Athletic Recruits
If you are an athlete and therefore completing the athletic supplement to the common ap, should you write about something different for the extracurricular section on the regular part of the common ap?

When practice takes up around 20-25 hours a week, obviously it is the most important extracurricular. However, it's redundant when it's already been covered on the athletic supplement.

Any advice? Thanks!
Post edited by landed on

Replies to: Athletic supplement/ EC/ Common Ap?

• pathwayspathways Registered User Posts: 277 Junior Member
    That is exactly what my D is doing...she is writing the short essay about her #1 non-sport activity (which is not nearly as time consuming as track/xc). She wants to showcase another side of herself to the adcom (i.e., she is not just a jock).

I was suprised by her decision, but I do see her point.
  • fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/athletic-recruits/994992-essay-topics-recruited-athletes.html?highlight=essay

Our student has practice 6 days a week...
    All essays were about things other than sport.
    Admissions admits based on academics, scores, essays that help them get to know you.
  • patriotsfan1patriotsfan1 Registered User Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    Wait where is the athletic supplement on the online commonApp? Is it the same as the EC one?
  • keabie18keabie18 Registered User Posts: 414 Member
    can you still do this even if you are not being recruited to play at that particular school (but are open to walking on)? I'm a major 3-sport four year varsity athlete, and was recruited by top D1 schools but I don't really want to play in college... yet I'm afraid that I won't be admitted to my top choice school since my EC's aren't as impressive due to my major commitment to athletics.
  • MaryOCMaryOC Registered User Posts: 519 Member
    My son did his EC essay on his involvement with concert band ... left football and rugby out of the mix, altogether, since he was recruited for his atheltic abilities. He focused on the enjoyment and balance this elective class offered him... even though he took a lot of ribbing from his rough and tumble teammates... and it was conducted first thing in the morning each day, before the regular academic schedule began - depriving him of an extra hour of highly coveted sleep.
  • fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    can you still do this even if you are not being recruited to play at that particular school (but are open to walking on)? I'm a major 3-sport four year varsity athlete, and was recruited by top D1 schools but I don't really want to play in college... yet I'm afraid that I won't be admitted to my top choice school since my EC's aren't as impressive due to my major commitment to athletics.

What exactly are you asking? If you aren't planning on playing in college, the athletic supplement isn't necessary.
  • byron19byron19 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Where do you find the athletic and art supplements and how do you make them pop up on your common app supplements? The choice as to whether you will use the athletic supplement or the art supplement is not in the future plans section. The only obvious way to find the athletic and art supplements is to download them in PDF form, but then you cannot send them online. And by the way, if you are lucky enough to figure out how to make them pop up for every supplement, how do you get rid of them if you change your mind and don't want to utilize them?
This discussion has been closed.