Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

New D1 Athletes & Required Sickle Cell Trait Test

NWRunnerNWRunner Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
edited August 2011 in Athletic Recruits
Do your schools do this test once you arrive and/or allow you to waive it (allowed under NCAA rules)? Our Ivy won't consider either and I it seems burdensome since it is an NCAA requirement, not a health issue (for the vast majority).

My athlete is handling his own paperwork and unfortunately ignored this early summer test request from the coaching department. Got a call this week and told existing blood panels would work so our doctor wrote a letter saying his cell count indicated he could not have this trait. Then got an urgent email from the head of athletics saying get the test or else. Since our doctor would not order it (on grounds unnecessary for health reasons) we found a for-profit clinic and hope to get results soon. Don't want to be "that family" before the season even starts.

Just seems burdensome and I wonder if other programs take care of it for you.
Post edited by NWRunner on

Replies to: New D1 Athletes & Required Sickle Cell Trait Test

• TheGFGTheGFG Registered User Posts: 6,219 Senior Member
    Yes, my D's program would have done the test for her last year, but she waived it.
  • fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    Yes
    Our scholar-athlete's ivy required it.

The sickle cell trait test --either from your student's birth records or done via blood test is required by all NCAA D1 athletes...in response to a lawsuit in TX --a football player's family sued Rice and I guess the NCAA.

Our student did the blood test--though I had contacted the school about the waiver--which only the IVY league adopted. We are not in the gene pool for such a trait...however it is required of ALL D1s.

However--someone in the U's athletics tells me that out of several hundred athletes, they have only had 1 demand the waiver.
    They asked me why--for the waiver----and for us it was a convenience issue since our student was gone all summer and couldn't get the test done and the results to the school by Aug 1.
    As it turned out--we had the test done and scanned/emailed the result within 3 days and they didn't have a problem with it being "late"..(between the date of the MD appt, the blood draw, and the results)

Your student cannot practice/participate without those records on file. If you can find the results of the test done at birth (all babies have that test and the PKU test done) then you can send that result without doing a bloood draw.
  • fishymomfishymom Registered User Posts: 1,849 Senior Member
    I spoke to the athletic office at my daughter's school about this the other day, since we got the notice on this the day after she had her physical. The school will do the testing once she arrives on campus or she can sign the waiver. If neither is done before the start of practice, she will not be allowed to participate. The test is not required by the NCAA if the waiver is signed, but individual schools may require the test. I talked to her Dr. and there is nothing in her records about testing. The hospital where she was born told me that newborns were routinely tested for Sickle Cell Trait when she was born, so I feel confident that if she had the trait we would have been informed. And since she is not in a high risk category, she will sign the waiver when she arrives on campus and have the bloodwork done at her convenience.
    ^ Hi FIshy.
    I didn't realize schools outside of the ivies had adopted the waiver.
    I had researched this online and frankly I think all D1 athletes should be able to sign the waiver--though I realize an "adult" of 18 signed a waiver is probably still challengeable in court by parents shoudl there be an issue....and this is a trait that specifically affects certain gene pools.
    For us, we couldn't find evidence of the test--though its likely in the old records--just not in the records the pediatrician gave us when we left the state 17 years ago...

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/NCAA+News/NCAA+News+Online/2010/Division+I/Protocol+decided+for+sickle+cell+testing_04_13_10_NCAA_News

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/07/21/a-costly-decision-sickle-cell-trait-testing-of-ncaa-student-athletes/
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,788 Senior Member
    Bookmarked
  • CORDIECORDIE Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    I know it is in some schools' protocol, if not all of them. This is because of liability. It's a simple blood test.
  • D1dilemmasD1dilemmas Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    Kid signed a sickle cell test waiver which was an option for athletes who are not African-American. Didn't realize that results from having the test in infancy would be accepted. I learn something from this board everytime I log in!
  • fishymomfishymom Registered User Posts: 1,849 Senior Member
    @Cordie, it is now required by the NCAA for all DI athletes. They must either provide proof of testing or sign a waiver.
    ^ And not all schools LIKE the waiver route.
    Spoke with the U's med staff back during the summer, and they told me of the 800 of so athletes on campus, only 1 had ever gone the waiver route.
    My student is not in the at-risk gene pool---however figured it wsn't worth the issue and did the blood test. The results were back in 36 hrs and faxed to the school.

The team has already done their NCAA compliance mtg and medical checks.
  • sandiego4866sandiego4866 Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    My daughter thought she was proactive with this test. She has it done three weeks before preseason. After delays and stalling while waiting for the results, it turned out that her doctors office gave the lab instructions that didn't require this test. Something they didn't let us know till the Friday before practice began.

We scrambled and got it done at the last minute at her school.

So it was an unnecessary nightmare due to Doctors and Nurses unfamiliarity with this test request.

Another cautionary tale in navigating the college process.
This discussion has been closed.