Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Salisbury baseball versus Roanoke

bigdunkinbigdunkin Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited August 2011 in Athletic Recruits
What would you do. Start right away for Roanoke or ride pine for two years before getting a shot to start at Salisbury. Two d3 schools. No dreams of playing professional baseball after college. Thanks for your opinion.
Post edited by bigdunkin on

Replies to: Salisbury baseball versus Roanoke

• fenwaysouthfenwaysouth Registered User Posts: 988 Member
    My two cents......There is no right answer, as different people have different goals. This exact topic was debated at our dinner table many, many nights. In our case, the dynamics were not this simple, and the the educational opportunities were not nearly the same with my sons choices. Baseball players spend a lot of time practicing (as many athletes do). There is a lot sacrificed for the love of the sport. For this reason, I know my son would rather play and improve a team rather than sit on the bench and wait to play in two years. You only get 4 years, you might as well be playing was his thought on the topic. I can't disagree with his logic. My son loves baseball, but he was willing to forego it if it meant a better educational opportunity. Make sure you are picking one over the other for the right reasons.

In addition, I would would research the heck out of each school and their conferences. I know last year that both conferences were very competitive. I would make 100% sure of your assumptions. I would try to talk to current players, alumni, and seek a recommendation from your travel coach. I would also look at funding sources through Equity in Athletics Data Analysis Cutting Tool Website. Through this tool, you will see that Salisbury has a little better funding for baseball and has a full time head coach as an employee. Roanoke has only part-time employees according to their filing with the gov't. Salisbury is a much bigger school by population at almost 7K, and Roanoke is almost 2K students.

CAC: D3baseball.com
    ODAC: D3baseball.com

I'm sure others may look at this differently. At some point you have to decide what is most important to you, and not as much about what others think. I hope that helps.

Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.