Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

2k Recruiting Times

AnEducationAnEducation Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
edited January 2012 in Athletic Recruits
So an online source lists the following times as MINIMUM times to be considered as a recruit for D1 rowing. Of course this is assuming you have the required academics, SATs... I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on these times based on their experience in dealing with coaches, etc.

2k time (split) 6k time (split)
Men 6:40 (1:40) 21:00 (1:45)
Lightweight Men 7:00 (1:45) 22:00 (1:50)
Women 7:40 (1:55) 24:00 (2:00)
Lightweight Women 8:00 (2:00) 25:00 (2:05)

As a lightweight woman, these times seem a bit generous but as I said, the website lists these as minimums. Of course if someone wants to confirm that you can get recruited to a top lightweight program with an 8:00 2k...that would make me very happy :)
Post edited by AnEducation on

Replies to: 2k Recruiting Times

• imafanimafan Registered User Posts: 252 Junior Member
    I would only differ in your woman's 6k minimum. Those who are sub 24 on a 6k before college are already in the elite end of women's rowing.
  • fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    I think your times listed are too slow...
    I believe people who posted here have said that hw men needed to be sub 6:30 and lightweights were sub 6:45...
    Try the search function and see if there are more concrete results.
    There was a hw (relatively novice) woman who was recruited D1/ivy with 7:20s last yr.

Like I said--try the search feature to get more concrete info...and ask the coaches of the schools you are considering. they will tell you what they want. Also--their team web pages will likley have recruiting info...some list the times. I think for most D1 teams they are looking for Jr National level times
  • elileoelileo Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    For lightweight women: a 7:45 2k is a target to aim for; 7:40 and under will attract significant coach interest.
  • ROWER95ROWER95 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Those times are WAY WAY WAY too slow
  • beenthere2beenthere2 Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    For HW, weight will come into the equation, so absolute times are less comparable. But for LW men (and there are basically predominantly the ivies), below a 7:40 with the top programs closer to 7:30 or below.
  • beenthere2beenthere2 Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    Sorry, meant 6:40 and 6:30 for LW men.
  • ROWER95ROWER95 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Yeah for LW men if u want to get recruited to a major university u must be around 6:40, even around 6:45 and they will look at you.
This discussion has been closed.