Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Spending the Night on an unofficial visit

2»

Replies to: Spending the Night on an unofficial visit

• schoolhouseschoolhouse Registered User Posts: 267 Junior Member
    varska & riverrunner

that is why I preferenced my response to this in terms of revenue and non-revenue producing sports. Most non-revenue sports have the luxury of having interested prospectives with the means/ability to take "unofficial visits and it's really no skin off their back. the revenue sports are under much tighter watch, because you don't want the appearance of "buying a player".......trust me it happens all the time, I knew from when I played, I've seen my best friends nephew be in the middle of NCAA sanction being leveled against a basketball program stripping them of NIT/NCAA final four records etc...and by the same token I've rode in cars driven by players who didn't even have a drivers license.

Official visits are what the NCAA watches and records are maintained on each one for compliance purposes so those if you are granted one are best handled through the A/D.
  • njfootballmomnjfootballmom Registered User Posts: 520 Member
    but if mom or dad are in a hotel and the kids "happens" to sleep in the dorms no eyebrows should go up. The parents paid for a room and the kid chose to have a sleepover. There are no overnight guest fees at any dorm I ever heard of. We only did D3 and a couple D2's. No overnights at D2. One provided luncheon for athletes and families, it was a daylong visit for over 20 athletes.
  • riverrunnerriverrunner Registered User Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    So much depends on the college's recent history with the NCAA. Our local university had a few hundred dollars in violations over the last couple of years, none of them serious- I'm talking treat bags for team members provided by a mom (value= less than $10 per athlete), couch space for recruits at a summer camp, etc. Over this, our AD lost his job, the University paid THOUSANDS of dollars in fines, lost access to recruits and lost practice days. NCAA is just "enforcing the rules." Coaches at this school don't offer recruits a stick of gum.
  • sidelinessidelines Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    ^^Wow! That's just so overboard and ridiculous. Perhaps we're even being spied on by overzealous NCAA officials posing as curious parents on CC! As a point of clarification, we did pay for floor space, shower privileges and 32 cubic yards of air during kid's unofficial visit. I was mistaken if I reported anything else. My apologies.
  • beenthere2beenthere2 Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    From Notre Dame:
    Recruiting-Unofficial Visits Visits - Athletics Compliance - University of Notre Dame

A prospective student-athlete may visit an institution's campus at his or her own expense an unlimited number of times. Unofficial (non-paid) visits may be made prior to the prospect's senior year in high school.

The ONLY expense that an institution can provide during an unofficial visit is the following:

Three complimentary admissions to a home athletics event may be provided to the prospect and those accompanying the prospect on the unofficial visit. Admissions are administered through a pass list with valid identification.The institution may provide up to two additional complimentary admissions for the prospect's parents, should a non-traditional family structure (divorce, separation) exist, in order to accommodate all parents accompanying a prospect on an unofficial visit. The institution may not reserve additional tickets to be purchased by the prospect or those persons accompanying them on their unofficial visit. Tickets may only be purchased in the same manner as the general public.

A prospective student-athlete on an unofficial visit may pay the actual cost of meals (or the regular cost of training table meals) and eat with other prospective student-athletes who are on their official visits or with enrolled student-athletes. Prospects making an unofficial visit may reside in the dormitories. Notre Dame Residence Life does not currently assess a cost for an overnight dormitory accommodation.
2»
This discussion has been closed.