Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Contacting coach

2»

Replies to: Contacting coach

• njfootballmomnjfootballmom Registered User Posts: 520 Member
    Send an email to the athletic director at the school you want to attend. Simply ask whether you need any kind of release from your school to have contact with one of their coaches. My son is in D3. The only response he got to his initial inquiries was to send them a copy of his release letter. One coach did say they were excited to hear from him, they had recruited him initially. He didn't end up there either time. D3 can do one self-release per school, other levels may not be able to self release. Here is a link to the D3 form, it is for D3 to D3. Just so you can see it...fs.ncaa.org/Docs/AMA/compliance_forms/DIII/DIII%20Permission%20to%20Contact.pdf
  • UrsaMajoricUrsaMajoric Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    Feldy, I agree that the 2nd-day package is more likely to be opened, but what I hear anecdotally is that the disk itself is likely to be tossed onto the slush pile unless there's something compelling about the kid or an accompanying or preceding recommendation from a (HS or club) coach known to the college's coach. A good 2-minute YouTube video will be viewed by a coach during the time it takes for a disk to get loaded and the necessary software to be fired up.

But, of course, we're speculating. I think the lesson here is that it doesn't hurt to call ... since you're not likely to get the head coach on first try anyway, you can ask the secretary, graduate assistant or assistant coach who answers the phone what the head coach's preference is between YouTube and DVD's.

Heck, my son (a HS baseball player) was just accepted non-binding EA at a D1 school in a top (football BCS) conference and, emailed the recruiting coach there to find out if they had walk-on opportunities. Unless my kid grows about 40 inches and adds 40 pounds and 8 MPH to his fastball, the program is way over his head. Still, the coach looked at his YouTube video and called him back, and they had a lovely chat about the program and their walk-on program. Sure, the fact that my son's already admitted to the school separates him from the pack of kids who shotgun 40 colleges with little plans to even apply, but he at least got that attention.

I'd emphasive your point that NAIA college teams will differ wildly in what level of competition they recruit, depending on the sport. Here, we're talking about a team that's transitioning to D2, so it may well be that it's of the level you talk about. But, it's a huge step to say the All-conf HM isn't good enough to get into D2 programs. Many do; a kid I used to coach got a D2 football full-ride with those credentials. It depends on what the school needs and is able to attract.
2»
This discussion has been closed.