Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Targeting Womens Rowing Programs by Coaches

2»

Replies to: Targeting Womens Rowing Programs by Coaches

• NWIslanderNWIslander Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Thanks mayhew and beenthere2, I'm sure both of your perspectives apply. My D's experience was pretty much exactly the same as yours, mayhew.

Though we live on the west coast, I've worked very closely over a number of years with quite a few Brown graduates, one of whom did row there (should've called her in the midst of the situation), but I really had little feel for the school regardless. My D really couldn't tell what Brown is about from afar, and I wasn't much help.

Anyway, the crew program ended up feeling like a closed shop, and a poorly-mannered one at that, sorry to say. From what you say, that was business as usual. I'm glad they are being more transparent and accessible now.
  • saintfansaintfan Registered User Posts: 8,274 Senior Member
    I have a son, but I believe there are 2 young women from my son's west coast club who will be rowing for Brown next year. I don't know how that came about (son is a freshman so not in that mix yet), but maybe it is the new blood.
  • NWIslanderNWIslander Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    saintfan, it would be interesting to find out (how that came about, as you say) and crack the 'Brown Mystique'!!
  • bluemoodbluemood Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    My D had the same experience in reaching out to Brown, last e-mail she sent was not replied to at all, the first one practically said that they were not interested in her even though she just asked to visit the boathouse while she was touring the school. She is so happy working w/coaches who are thoughtful and professional something her prep school teaches. If Brown treats good prospects this way, exactly how do they get their rowers?
This discussion has been closed.