Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Best time to call college coach?

2»

Replies to: Best time to call college coach?

• vballgirl94vballgirl94 Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    Thank you everyone for the advice. Lately I've just realized that everyone's recruiting experience is very different. I've heard so many different stories and all of them just seem so varied, even in the same sport. I will continue to call/email my first choice school. I refuse to give up until I get a definite "no, we are not recruiting you" answer. Meanwhile I will continue to keep in contact with the other schools.
  • squidgesquidge Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    While I think it's ok to keep trying, make sure you are doing it in tandem with actively seeking other opportunities. If she's been in the role for 4 months and has made no attempt to reach you, there is a very good chance there is not an opportunity. This is not necessarily a reflection on your skills - even if your height and skills truly match, remember that coaches are only recruiting certain positions each year, so they may have no need for your position in 2013. In addition, many schools are done with 2013 recruiting, so she may have no spots left.

Of course, it's also possible that she is completely buried with trying to figure out what is happening with her current commits based on the coaching change, and with starting the new season, so not saying completely give up, but make sure you have strong back-up options. It is very late in the 2013 recruiting cycle for volleyball.
    I have just heard back from another D3 college that I am interested in. They said that I am now on their "priority recruiting list" and am "officially being recruited" by them. I am very happy, as this is a good sign.
    What are the main questions that I should be asking about their program?
  • DreadpiritDreadpirit Registered User Posts: 491 Member
    Make sure you get out to see some games of the teams you are interested in. Being able to find a good fit with the coaching style and playing system of the team is critical to you happiness on a college team.
    Thanks dreadpirit.
    The coach from my second choice school (the D2 which has shown interest) actually suggested that I come to one or two of their games this season. The drive for this school isn't that bad, only a little over 2 hours. So I plan looking for a weekend or a Friday where I can drive down and watch a game.
  • tpmcintytpmcinty Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Agree strongly with seeing a game or two. Ideally you want to see the team either losing or struggling. Everybody coaches well when things are going right. You need to find out how they coach when it is not going their way. How do they turn it around and win.

We saw about 15 schools play last year. We found that Tri-Matches or Quad-matches were the best because you got to see a bunch of teams and matches at once. We went to see one school that my daughter was interested in and we were glad we did. They started playing badly and the coaches basically did nothing to stop it. My daughter decided then and there that she was taking that school off her list unless there was a coaching change.

At another match we saw a school play that we were not familiar with. My daughter liked how the coach performed and how the team played. They lost the match to one of the top 5 teams in Division 3 but they never stopped trying. My daughter researched the school and like it more. She contacted the coach and he has been recruiting her ever since.

Now along with seeing matches she is also trying to see some practices. She saw one this past weekend and will see one this coming weekend. I know she is going to contact another school about seeing their practice.

Her problem is her high school schedule conflicts with many of the matches she wants to see. Weekends are not much better. Her high school team has two Saturday tournaments this year. Plus you have to throw in the PSAT, SAT, and ACT tests. Once school starts in two weeks there will be no weekdays off until Thanksgiving. Our school district does not take off for Columbus Day or Veterans Day. They want to use those days as extra snow days if they need them.
    Wow that is a good point. Seeing how the coach/team reacts when they are losing definitely says a lot about the program. It is a similar idea as to when a college coach comes to see you at a tournament and they want to see how you react when you or a teammate makes a bad play.
    Scheduling to see a college game will definitely be a challenge. I do not have any high school games on Saturdays, but I do have other activities plus homework on the weekends. Hopefully it'll all work out.
    Also, there are no rules against attending and watching a college practice? Is that considered an unofficial visit?
  • GolfFatherGolfFather Registered User Posts: 1,519 Senior Member
    I have just heard back from another D3 college that I am interested in. They said that I am now on their "priority recruiting list" and am "officially being recruited" by them. I am very happy, as this is a good sign.

Congrats! Good luck.
    Aw thanks GolfFather
    I am just excited that schools are showing interest. I am in an area where volleyball is not big at all. Only a select number of players each year go to college for volleyball from my area, and I'd be honored to be one next year. In hindsight, I wish I had found ways to get more exposure to college coaches early. I probably should have tried out for a volleyball club with an actual national team and more dedicated players, but you can't change the past.
2»
This discussion has been closed.