Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The biggest mistake I made in the recruting process was...

2»

Replies to: The biggest mistake I made in the recruting process was...

• njballersnjballers Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I won't say biggest mistake but the best advice is dependent how talented your child is and what level of interest exist. In any case take control of the process and be proactive in your research. You would be amazed how much you can find out about a school and program without ever talking to a coach. Whenever we took unofficial visit's to a school we always scheduled them so we could also take a group tour with the Admissions department on our own if available. The presentation given by the Admissions department to regular high school students and their families presents a different view of a school than a tour given by a coach who's goal is to get you to sign.

Understand that there are a limited number of spots and a limited amount of money or scholarships. The money and spots available in September may not be there come December or January. Most coaches wont give you a date to make a decision but know that no matter what they tell you there is always someone else in the pipeline.

If you kid is not a blue chip prospect you need to market them yourself, don't rely solely on their coach or the hope that they will be spotted at some camp or clinic. Start by identifying schools they have interest in and filling out the questionnaire found of the athletic site for prospective student athletes.

Make contact with the coach, their ability to contact your child is restricted at certain times but you can contact them pretty much anytime. Don't be afraid to ask what their interest is in your child and where your child stands in their recruitment plans. Finally, don't waste your time or the coaches time if you really don't have any interest in a school.
  • dessertsdesserts Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    Receiving "coaches support" at an ivy is absolutely not a guarantee. Cover your bases. Do not put all eggs in one basket. S did. Thought the process was easy. Didn't get in....

However, at other "better fit" school and now playing a different sport as a walk on... so it does all work out, even if it wasn't the original plan.
  • D1dilemmasD1dilemmas Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    In addition to all the great advice above, Get Everything In Writing. Bird in hand worth 2 in bush==signed committment worth offers in the pipeline
  • soccer92boysoccer92boy Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    The biggest mistake was that DD started recruiting process late on his senior year.

The other advise is "Don't let your spouse answering coach phone call." - it is joke.

One time during dinner time coach called, my wife misinterpreted which coach/school was calling so coach thought DD might not interested in his program and move on to the other players. At the end DD went to this school and doesn't play soccer at all. It broke my heart.

DD just called and he made the cut for tryout and he will be playing school soccer team while study aboard in UK this fall. Couldn't be better than that.
  • D1dilemmasD1dilemmas Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    4year Vacation: " One observation I have made is that sometimes recruits do not take advantage of their connections at a school (previous teammates who now compete in college). We know a recruit who showed up for a visit without even letting her former teammate know she was coming. What a missed opportunity, not to mention the college athlete was insulted. The current college athletes oftentimes have A LOT of pull with the coach and can really help you out. Even if you didn't know them well when you were teammates, reach out to them. It can't hurt. They are usually excited to help."

So true. Told parent of kid a year behind mine to contact me/my kid but this parent was so convinced their kid was going to be deluged with offers...we didn't even know this kid ended up applying to my kid's school until they got waitlisted there and all schools except their safety. This family knew an athlete in same sport at almost every single school on their kid's list but contacted none of them, not even when visiting. Maybe the general lack of effort/interest pervaded the applications as this was a strong candidate with good grades and scores. We were all speechless.
2»
This discussion has been closed.