Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Boy Competing Among Men

2»

Replies to: Boy Competing Among Men

• DreadpiritDreadpirit Registered User Posts: 491 Member
    @fogfog, in general there is very little breaking of NCAA rules regarding contact with Jr's and younger. The NCAA's goal is to prevent HS players being bombarded with phone calls and emails, it is not trying to stop recruiting of these players.

This is how it goes in soccer (it sounds like lax is no different)...

Recruits get scouted at showcases and at college camps.

College coaches cannot approach players at showcases but they can approach the players club coach (or they can send the club coach an email) - hey tell Timmy that he should give me a call.

The coaches can also send players informational email for their camps. In the emails they are allowed to explain the NCAA rules to the prospective players. If the email says something like "unfortunately we cannot call you before ... due to NCAA rules but you are free to call us anytime. Here is my cell number that you can call any time. If I don't answer you can call me back any time" that let's the player know that the school is interested.

Player calls college coach, and they can talk at length and arrange an unofficial visit during which player and college coach can talk all they want.

It happens all the time and the NCAA has no problem with it.

google NCAA soccer recruiting spreadsheet and you will see there are close to 200 2014 girls already commited and many many more will go in the next couple of months.

These are real commitments and though not binding, almost all of them hold until senior year NLI's are signed.
  • MaryOCMaryOC Registered User Posts: 519 Member
    Explained perfectly, Dreadpirit!
  • fauvefauve Registered User Posts: 3,515 Senior Member
    Yes^^. It is hard for parents of swimmers and other individual sports to know that team sports (soccer, LAX,etc.) recruiting is very different than timed sports.
  • fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    @fogfog - what is your point? None of the activities I have mentioned above are mentioned in that NCAA document.

third party contact is allowed, phone calls initiated by prospective atheletes are allowed, on campus visits are allowed
  • egelloc80egelloc80 Registered User Posts: 818 Member
    This is unfortuant because I'm currently a junior. I'm from the midwest and hoping to play college lacrosse but didn't know anything about it. I've been researching it recently since the 1st person in our school (neighbor and friend-year older) has been recruited to Boston. This thread and some of the other things I've read have not been what I've wanted to hear. What are some things that someone like me can do to increase my chances of getting recruited being a junior?
    @ejelloc80 There is nothing to be overly concerned about. There are many, many college lax teams out there. Most of the discussion about early commits concerns top absolute top tier of players and teams.

You should spend the next couple of months putting together a list of schools that match your interests and abilities both academically and athletically. If unsure where you might fit athletically talk to local coaches with some experience evaluating players. Once you have your list, start contacting coaches and let them know of your interest and where they can see you play.

College camps and recruiting showcases are good ways to get in front of many coaches at the same time. The key to getting noticed is being proactive. If you wait for coaches to come find you, you will probably get left out in the cold.
  • fauvefauve Registered User Posts: 3,515 Senior Member
    fogfog- The NCAA rules booklet does indeed allow young athletes to contact coaches. The junior can call the coach to speak. But the coach cannot initiate the communication until the NCAA calendar allows. The NCAA page you reference is the guideline for coach-initiated calls to students, not student calls to coaches.

In sports like swimming, rowing,track and cross-country, athletes generally continue to improve their PRs, so recruiting is often done much later (after junior year). A coach wants to see the latest races.

With the large rosters for soccer, football, LAX, etc., coaches want to start the process earlier to pinpoint the standouts, and build relationships.
  • SteveMASteveMA Registered User Posts: 6,079 Senior Member
    OP-if your son is a sophomore in high school and isn't showing signs of entering puberty, have you considered having him tested for growth hormone deficiency? Not all kids mature at the same rate but even the late bloomers should be showing signs by now. Just a thought. This issue runs in our family and the latest family member has grown 8" in the past year and a half on the hormones.
  • sportsnutzsportsnutz Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Thanks, SteveMA. We were concerned so had him tested recently. All looks ok and starting to show signs of puberty but bone age is a few years behind chronological age. They predict an above average adult height but it will take a few years to get there. At this point, I think we'll just sit tight and see what happens and have him work on developing his skills and not doing any showcases until he catches up a bit physically. We are hopeful that not all of the ships will have sailed at that point!
  • egelloc80egelloc80 Registered User Posts: 818 Member
    ^ I hope too
2»
This discussion has been closed.