Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Verbally committed with coaches endorsement to admissions, now getting interest?

ScaramoucheScaramouche Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited August 2012 in Athletic Recruits
After months of discussion my 2013D just verbally committed and will apply EA to her top Ivy. We are are incredibly excited about the opportunity. Unfortunately we are now hearing from several other schools that are requesting additional info and offering per-reads. Flattering but very awkward. We are not sure what to think but perhaps the endorsement from a competitor breeds interest. One of the schools is the "dream school" on the west coast that we previously thought had limited interest. One scenario comes to mind that perhaps the 'dream school' just wants to soil any recruit going to any other school. Am i too cynical and over thinking their play? Or do they think that she would actually be the right fit afterall? We have not notified our recent suitors of our EA intentions because it was so recent a decision. We are fully committed to the coach and school and will allow them to battle admissions for our cause. We are hoping for the best outcome but are weighing our options just in case.
We are planning to take three OV's to non ivies as our contingency plan. But if we do not receive a likely letter this fall will it be unlikely that we could make a run at a different Ivy we did not initially select?
Post edited by Scaramouche on

Replies to: Verbally committed with coaches endorsement to admissions, now getting interest?

  • maria2013maria2013 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    I would keep talking to the dream school. everyone is now shortening their lists and letting some schools go. Its possible that your D's dream school was cut by some recruits that they thought they would be able to get.
  • ScaramoucheScaramouche Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Agreed talking is good, but i think we are mostly listening now.
    Not sure when we drop the verbal commit and EA decision info on them, but the 'truth and honesty' edict that governs our lives would dictate soon. It should be interesting how it will effect their recruiting processes with my daughter.
    Thx for the feedback.
  • momof2010momof2010 Registered User Posts: 407 Member
    I believe that a verbal commitment although not officially binding is just that. A commitment. I don't understand the situation. Is it possible that your D won't get in to the school committed to?
  • imafanimafan Registered User Posts: 252 Junior Member
    Until you get a likely letter from the IVY, you should keep your options open.

    Seems you are in an interesting spot, because I'm reading a bit between the lines that your D might like to back out of the verbal commitment if the "dream" school makes an offer, so pressing for a likely letter might not exactly be what she wants.

    I am a fan of honesty. Tell dream school that it is her dream school. See what they say. THEN decide if you can let dream school know that she has a relationship with another school - but does not have a likely. And then trust your gut. It's a big risk to walk away from a verbal commitment. It's done, but it's risky.

    Keep us posted.
This discussion has been closed.