Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rowing-good team/club critical?

love2cheeseslove2cheeses Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
edited August 2012 in Athletic Recruits
We live in a city with only one rowing club and the team is not famous and has not won any major regatta. Will the chance to be recruited by top school rowing team become almost impossible? or schools only look at your ERG?
Post edited by love2cheeses on

Replies to: Rowing-good team/club critical?

• fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    Hi I saw your post and more than 200 have looked at it with no responses.. I will try to help

Recruiting is about the scholar-athlete-- his/her academics and his/her athletic potential.

Sooo depending on the level of academic and athletic ability and your commitment--
    all of those things will factor into where you should look for college.

Grades and test scores count
    Erg scores counts
    Height/weight count
    Teachability/coachability counts
    Humility counts

You will get more help if you share a little -- NOT full details

Tell us
    year in HS
    # of years in sport and Your accomplishments/record
    ht/wt
    approx gpa and sat/act

From what others have said, this sport at a top D1 level means 6 days a week fall and 2 a days spring...

There is nothing wrong with going D3 or club...
    and depending on your major/career that can be a wise choice.

There is no career in rowing...

Do not divulge here your club, city, name
    however anything you can share so others can help may help. you.
  • goplaygoplay Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Erg time is very important for crew recruiting. If you have a very fast 2K time, you will receive a lot of attention from college coaches, no matter what club you are associated with.
  • fishymomfishymom Registered User Posts: 1,849 Senior Member
    My daughter was recruited under similar circumstances, very small, brand new, unknown club and coach. My daughter was the first athlete from her club to be recruited, with no help or involvement from her club or coach, so I am speaking from experience. First, as fogfog said, recruiting is about the student-athlete and his/her accomplishments, both academically and athletically. And as Goplay stated, a fast erg score will get you attention. But a well connected coach will get you recruited!

I don't know what year you are in, but if you are a junior, I strongly advise that you attend a well established rowing camp this summer, one not affiliated with a specific college. The coaches at these camps are very familiar with the recruiting process and are in contact with the college coaches on a regular basis. These coaches have "street cred" which is very important in the recruiting process and are a valuable resource for an athlete without a well known club/coach. Feel free to pm me if you hav any questions!
  • love2cheeseslove2cheeses Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    My S is a freshman and interested in trying the only rowing club we have in town this fall, but kids who used to go to that club told us if we are doing it just for fun, it is fine, and warned us the club has never produced any recruits for top schools. This is our current situation.

Fishymom, thanks for your input which gives us hope that it is still doable for kids from no name team to be recruited. I will PM you.
This discussion has been closed.