Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Pressure to commit - need advise

minnesotafatsminnesotafats Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
edited November 2012 in Athletic Recruits
My athlete D had been told by an Ivy she needs to commit by Nov 1, just over 3 weeks away. This Ivy her number 2 or 3 choice. She is also considering other Ivies and non-Ivies, but OVs are yet to be scheduled. She would like to allow the recruiting process to continue to a "normal" conclusion at the other schools, but is afraid of missing this deadline. Any advice on how to handle this situation?
Post edited by minnesotafats on

Replies to: Pressure to commit - need advise

  • varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,429 Senior Member
    We had a similar situation. Have your D contact her #1 choice and ask if she can expedite the OV. Nov 1 is going to be the commit day for a lot of athletes.
  • SteveMASteveMA Registered User Posts: 6,079 Senior Member
    A lot of coaches want the recruiting process wrapped up by the November signing day. Our DD also needs to have a decision in by Nov 1st, but we knew that and are planning on that. She is done with all but 2 visits and is only going to consider those schools IF they come through with a nice package. Signing in November is pretty standard for most sports. The next signing day isn't until spring and if your DD goes elsewhere and a coach held a spot for her, they are left with candidates they don't really want. I don't blame the coaches for wanting commitments in Nov.
  • momof2010momof2010 Registered User Posts: 407 Member
    Agree with the above, it is expected to be able to make a decision by this time if your kid is a wanted D1 athlete.. Get on the phone and talk to coaches at top choice schools, be honest and up front and let the chips fall where they may.
  • editoreditor Registered User Posts: 357 Member
    Is Nov 1 a commit day for most sports? Does anyone know about XC/track? I know signing is in February.
  • varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,429 Senior Member
    A lot (most) schools that can support an athlete through admissions want you to commit to them by applying ED/EA - and the deadline for that is Nov 1.
    That's pretty much regardless of the sport.
  • SteveMASteveMA Registered User Posts: 6,079 Senior Member
    National Letter of Intent Home Page

    Here is the schedule for 2012-2013
  • alloutforivyalloutforivy Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    There is no "normal" in the recruiting process, and count your blessings! I am not sure that the process you are seeking - where a recruited athlete can harvest offers from a bunch of schools they may be interest in, evaluate them all and over the course of a few months make a decision which to accept - ever existed, but it certainly does not exist today.

    Think of how many athletes would die to be in the position of being pressured by their #2 choice Ivy for an Early Action commitment.

    That being said, I understand that the position you are in is not an easy one.

    I would suggest that the first thing you do is make sure that #2 admissions is prepared to issue you a Likely Letter.

    Then, as Varska suggests, contact the #1 choice and ask if they are prepared to issue you a Likely Letter. Their response will dictate whether to accept or decline the offer to commit to #2.

    On the benevolent side, think of all the positions you will be opening up for other athletes at all of the other schools you were considering.
  • carpediem44carpediem44 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    Excellent advice, alloutfor ivy. Also, it seems to me that if your child does not already have OVs scheduled at those other schools for before November 1, that is probably a sign that your child is not a top prospect at those schools. Taking an offer from a number two or three choice when it is a sure thing sounds prudent to me, but only you know your child and the extent of/reasons for his or her affection for choice number one.
  • Murphy600Murphy600 Registered User Posts: 473 Member
    Take the bird in the hand!,
  • editoreditor Registered User Posts: 357 Member
    Well, it seems in my D's sport (XC/Track), come coaches like to give OVs after the XC season has ended. She has already been on one OV and leaves today for another. Two other schools want to make arrangements with her for OVs. The school she's going to this weekend is very, very high on her list. She was wondering what to do if coach offers her a spot while on the visit.
  • SteveMASteveMA Registered User Posts: 6,079 Senior Member
    editor--it is not uncommon for girls to fall off senior year in XC/track as their bodies develop so it makes sense to wait for some senior year times before finalizing their recruiting.
  • minnesotafatsminnesotafats Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Thank you to everyone for responding to my question! Your responses have helped to clarify our D's position quite a bit. Phone call scheduled today with #1 - which was actually requested by #1 and not us (now that she bumped her ACT to a 33, she is "ok to recruit"). #2 is offering a likely letter, #3 for some reason likes to wait until January or February which is very late for my D's sport - they are non-Ivy but an excellent (and much cheaper) option. We will let them know also what is going on with #1 and #2. Yes, we very very much appreciate the very good position my D is in. She worked extremely hard to put herself in this position; her high school has never sent anyone to either #1 or #2. Will keep you updated on how this works out.

    PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS: By the way, we the parents are in that "grey" area where we make a little too much $ to qualify for any need-based aid, and we don't make enough to easily afford an Ivy. We believe, however, that in the end an Ivy education is an excellent investment and truly the environment our D will thrive in. Any comments on that??
  • SwimkidsdadSwimkidsdad Registered User Posts: 616 Member
    It would depend on what she is planning on doing after she graduates. If she plans on working after she finishes her undergraduate degree then an ivy lealue shool is a good investment. If she plans on going to medical school then not as much because her ability to get into medical school depends primarily on her MCAT score, science GPA, and research and not which undergraduate school she goes to. If she plans on going to law school or MBA then her graduate school is much more important than her undergraduate school.
  • stemitstemit Registered User Posts: 575 Member
    My son loves the Ivy he chose. I think the connections he is making make it worthwhile - I don't think the academics are as special as we were led to believe (classes are large, TAs are uneven, professors (at the into and intermediate levels) are uneven). Now that he is into upper level courses in his major, the academics have improved.

    While all hasn't been as great as the illusion painted by the school, if he (we) had to do it all over again, he'd be at the same school. My D is now applying to college (non-athlete). She is applying to the same school (though it is not in her top tier of choices).
  • GolfFatherGolfFather Registered User Posts: 1,519 Senior Member
    we don't make enough to easily afford an Ivy.

    From anecdotal evidence, Ivies have a way of determining (and providing) a lot of "need-based" financial aid for athletes that they are truly after.
This discussion has been closed.