Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is this a good/bad/no sign?

13»

Replies to: Is this a good/bad/no sign?

• OH2014OH2014 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    It's not exactly that my times don't meet their standards, it's that he gave me standards for only two events, both of which I don't run (i.e. he gave me standards for long distance events while I run middle distance events).
  • SteveMASteveMA Registered User Posts: 6,079 Senior Member
    What events do you run and what are your times? There are plenty of people here that are familiar with track and could give you some advice but you can also look it up on the website for the school and see what times their current athletes are posting and where you fit.
  • OH2014OH2014 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    I run the 400 and the 800. I don't really want to post my times because, as someone said earlier, it makes me easily identifiable. However, I know that the time I'm probably going to run this spring for the 400 would put me as one of the fastest runners on the team in that event, and my predicted 800 would put me at about the middle of their runners in that event. I've looked at their team's results before.
  • varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,430 Senior Member
    One thing about comparing your times to the team roster to gauge your value to the team, you're better off checking the results for the conference meet. If this school is ACC, for example, see if your 400 and 800 times would put you in the competitive range in the conference.

A team might be currently weak in the 400, for example, and your times look good by comparison, but that doesn't mean coach wants to bring on more kids at that level - he wants to bring on kids that have the potential to score points at the big meets.

Too bad the assistant coach at that school didn't sound real enthused. But make sure to follow the oft-given wisdom on this board: cast a wide net in your recruiting efforts
  • evertonnutevertonnut Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    OH2014, I would recommend another email to the assistant asking him which times they want to see in the 400 and 800. You could phrase your question in a direct way, such as 'Thanks for your reply Coach. I run the 400 and 800, and my times are ___ in the 400 and ____ in the 800. What times would I need to run in those two events to be a solid recruit for U of __?" If you don't ask this direct question, you will be left to speculate. If he answers the question, you will know how you stack up.

To all recruits: don't be afraid to ask direct questions. You may not get the answer you want, but you might; either way, you will know where you stand. Coaches generally like to be vague unless you're one of their top one or two recruits, so you need to seek clarity, which takes guts because you may get a negative response. But it's better to be disappointed early, when you still have time to explore other options, than disappointed late when you don't.
  • sherpasherpa Registered User Posts: 4,705 Senior Member
    ^ excellent advice
  • musicmom26musicmom26 Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    D3 can call and email you anytime they want, and most D1's don't respond or they'll email you back and tell you that they can't email you until September 1st or talk to you July 1st of your senior year. My D just kept calling over the summer until she got the coach and set up unofficials that way.
13»
This discussion has been closed.