Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why isn't Cornell dominant the other Ivies?

13»

Replies to: Why isn't Cornell dominant the other Ivies?

• cbw123cbw123 Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
    Well, this is interesting. Dartmouth. Mens Tennis.
    Just verbally took a junior today.

I haven't seen that done yet for the IVY's as not all the scores are in for junior year.

The kicker is the kid is not from the country.

Overall D1 Mens Tennis - about 70% foreign now.
  • varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,430 Senior Member
    ^ you'll see all sorts of early verbal commits posted online. LAX, hockey, soccer...
    But they're all pending review by admissions after final transcripts and scores are in.
  • Redman995Redman995 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    Cornell's done just fine in lacrosse too.
  • schoolhouseschoolhouse Registered User Posts: 267 Junior Member
    all this index BS aside,,,,is there a measure or indicator that measures competitive drive, sports situational analysis etc..........

people the desire to win or success is not something that you can quantify in an exam or reduce it to a formula, it just happens with a little luck sheer will etc....I know for all you Ivy wanna be's that might be something that you just can't wrap your head around but that is what it is.
  • fenwaysouthfenwaysouth Registered User Posts: 988 Member
    schoolhouse asked....is there a measure or indicator that measures competitive drive, sports situational analysis etc..........
    I'm not aware of any, and frankly I think this is why many recruits are overlooked...coaches haven't figured out how to measure this. They go on hunches, which is not very scientific. I've seen it first hand. Top recruits (I call them show ponys) that were supposed to be can't miss (or drafted) end up being lazy thinking everything is supposed to come to them. On the other hand you have the "not so top recruit" or "walk-on" that is willing to do anything to get on the team or even an opportunity to play. For my money, I'll take the recruit with the desire every time.

Fortunately or unfortunately the Ivy conference has rules and metrics for its recruits. It is what it is. I think there is parity in some sports and not so much in others. A lot of that has to do with recruiting talent and some of it has to do with team chemistry. Every year you are turning over roughly 15-25% of your roster (in son's sport), so I'm not sure even the coaches know what they are getting until the first month of practices. We've had three different Ivy champions in three years in son's sport.
13»
This discussion has been closed.