Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How do I explain to a coach that I changed my mind?

2»

Replies to: How do I explain to a coach that I changed my mind?

• JoBennyJoBenny Registered User Posts: 777 Member
    Is this common? That a coach will tell a prospect that s/he is "likely accepted" and they don't get accepted? My son is talking with 3 coaches now......all three got pre-reads and all three told him that they received "great feedback on his application from admissions"....Is there still a possibility (strong or otherwise) that he won't be accepted at the schools? I sort of assumed that a coach wouldn't continue to call and email a recruit with affirmations of how excited they are to see (fill in the blank) in a (fill in the blank) uniform in the fall if they weren't pretty darn sure that the kid was going to be accepted to the school. Seems very wrong to me.
  • fenwaysouthfenwaysouth Registered User Posts: 988 Member
    twang10,

Congrats! My son was also recruited by Tufts a few years ago. You're in a good spot, and you couldn't have gone wrong academically at either.

BTW......The title of this thread should not be "How do I explain to a coach that I changed my mind? " The title should have been how do I deal with a coach/school who can't commit"

You'll have a little extra giddy-up when you play the schools that recruited you. Trust me.

JoBenny,

"Great feedback on his applications from admissions" is coach speak. Many of us here speak fluent "coach speak". It sounds good, but doesn't tell you much more than your previously knew. There is no specifics, no details, and no committment. You need to find out exactly where your son or daughter sits on their priority list.

Your son/daughter needs to find out if the coach will help with Admissions if it is needed. Every situation is different because everybody's academic/athletic abilities are different. When it comes to crunch time, coaches will typically have more information to share with you. They will never guarantee anything. If they start "hedging" you know it is time to look at other opportunities you have lined up.
  • MGSM04MGSM04 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Great news, congratulations! Now make the most of your opportunities and enjoy being a Jumbo!

JoBenny, it does happen more than people want to believe. Research this forum for good advice on asking hard questions and for information on how to read between the lines when speaking to a coach. Go into the process with a healthy skepticism and ask around in your athletic community about the reputations of the coaches with whom your son is speaking.
  • CapitalFoodieCapitalFoodie Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    JoBenny. It happened to my son this fall. Applied ED, had great admissions interview, positive pre-read, full coach support....then denied. Coach himself was very disappointed - we think it may have been a financial aid issue, but will never know for sure. Things may have turned out for the better, though. We are expecting confirmation of some good (actually better) news this week. Things happen for a reason, I guess.
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    This is the stuff I am always warning about.
    Capital-your child didn't get full support. The coach lied.If s/he had full support, they would have been accepted.
    NESCACs have no likely letter, so we are all totallly dependent on what the coaches tell us. They want to get as many students as possible to help their team, AND unfortunately many are less than totally honest.
    That is why I always advise to keep more than one option open, be "sort of" honest but not entirely, because the coach is not always honest either.80% of recruited athletes are rejected ED in the NESCACs.
    I also think that folks should, for the good of those who follow after, out some of these dishonest coaches, or at least post your sport so you can be PMed if others have questions.
    My specialty is NESCAC swimming....
  • SwimDad99SwimDad99 Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
    20% are rejected, and 80% accepted. :-)
2»
This discussion has been closed.