Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ivy League Football

fballguy28fballguy28 Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
edited February 2013 in Athletic Recruits
I have a brother a year below me he is a college football prospect. He is on the mailing list for 10 colleges at the division 1 level. The mail that comes from the Dartmouth coach interest him the most and they always reply back when he writes them. He has a 3.8 GPA and just took the ACT he is in the class of 2014 . He will also graduate with his Associates degree in mechanical Engineering. What advice would you give him about getting into any Ivy League School
Post edited by fballguy28 on

Replies to: Ivy League Football

• SwimkidsdadSwimkidsdad Registered User Posts: 616 Member
    Is he a high school student or junior college student?
  • myluckydogmyluckydog Registered User Posts: 160 Junior Member
    Start by reading Varska's book.
  • fballguy28fballguy28 Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    he is a high school junior but is dual enrolled in a engineering program at a CC
  • SteveMASteveMA Registered User Posts: 6,079 Senior Member
    First, have him look at the credit transfer policy. None of his DE classes are going to give him credit for Darmouth, just so he knows that. Hopefully it's financially affordable for him to attend any of these schools. A lot will hinge on his ACT score.
  • fenwaysouthfenwaysouth Registered User Posts: 988 Member
    fballguy28,

Your brother is a high achiever. Dartmouth recognizes that and other schools recognize he is a D1 football candidate. Dartmouth and the others want to know his interest level. They will be even more interested once his ACT scores come in. If he is in the ballpark with the necessary Dartmouth numbers the coach will most likely work with him to guide him through that process. Your brother needs to listen very closely to what the D coach tells him. In addition, he needs to continue to move forward with the other 10 schools. If your brother is dead set on an Ivy school, he should reach out to other Ivys. If Dartmouth is interested the chances are pretty good the others will too.

I would read Varska's book as myluckydog suggests.

My oldest son also took dual enrollment engineering, programming and math courses in high school through the community college. In his case, the Ivy school would not transfer these credits only some of his AP classes. My middle son is also doing dual enrollment in the same high school engineering program as my oldest son. His course credits will transfer to our State flagship school for engineering. Life isn't fair sometimes.

If your brother continues with engineering and college athletics, I wish him well!
This discussion has been closed.