Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Academic Index, Ivy's, Measuring course load?

Replies to: Academic Index, Ivy's, Measuring course load?

• SwimkidsdadSwimkidsdad Registered User Posts: 616 Member
    "a recruit that may be on the bubble academically may get a little boost (<5pts) if they're coming out of a program with a strong academic rep.”

This would explain how an athlete with a SAT of 1500 can be admitted to HYP.
  • lioness4lioness4 Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    It's crazy to generalize. Some kids need the AP's others absolutely do not. Some top schools don't even offer more than a very limited few AP courses. My experience with 2 recruits at IVY, GPA and scores were most important, course rigor may have been factored in since the HS was top flight but the feedback we had was GPA was more important unless looking for a specific program, for example certain AP's were requested for Wharton over regular Penn. The Brown coach specifically told us GPA more important than course rigor and recounted he had to turn down a kid from very competitive school taking highest level classes because he had another kid with higher GPA in less rigorous program. Coach was not happy about it! The situation with test scores much more transparent - they tell you what you need and the scores are weighted more heavily than the GPA. Also, I do believe the Ivy recruiting process does not factor weighted GPA's.

Good Luck!
  • lioness4lioness4 Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    An SAT of 1500 would have to mean recruit is insanely desirable as an athlete and that the coach has other top academic recruits to balance the average AI for incoming class. Also, doubt it could be anything other than a helmet sport. Non-helmets tend to bring up the numbers for AD's total AI
  • RowmomRowmom Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    I have read that 600 is the minimum score an athlete can have on each section of the SAT. That must not be true if a 1500 was accepted. Would a coach kow if the athlete was eligible for this 'little boost'? Would the high school counselor know?
  • fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    College admissions looks at school profiles and expect a student to have taken the most rigor possible/offerred.

For our scholar-athlete--
    HYP said comfortably 700s per section think 720-760ish/ equival ACT minimum...
    plus OVER 4.0 weighted GPA etc etc..
    plus athletic stats ,
    ECs, LORs etc...

Don't worry whether the AdComs can tell the difference--they can..
    .and
    the prereads of scholar-athletes during summer give the coaches the potential recruits for OVs in fall.
  • CCDD14CCDD14 Registered User Posts: 1,084 Senior Member
    Fogfog,
    So you are saying that, for example, 18 Princeton Olympic athletes all had 720+ on each SAT section and also had some other ECs in addition to 4.0+ WGPA?
    If HYP had to follow your guidelines they may not be able to field a competitive team in many sports. Bad enough that in some sports there are athletic full rides and even professional opportunities.
  • simplystated1961simplystated1961 Registered User Posts: 165 Junior Member
    The stronger the athlete the more leeway is given for gpa and test scores. HYP will lift the lower stat athlete with a higher stat athlete. This is done ALL the time.
    CCDD14

Well I can show you the recruiting packet that Princeton sent to all of the potential recruits for the hs class of 2011...
    they put it in black and white

This was for a non helmet sport. I realize that helmet athletes get more leeway...

You do understand the ivies don't give merit nor athletic $, right. If you want $ for sports, the ivies aren't for you.
    Fogfog- what exactly did the recruitment package say?
  • danstearnsdanstearns Registered User Posts: 422 Member
    Look at it this way - we all know HYP accepts very few applicants. We all know admittance isn't purely numbers driven at these schools. Unique, high achievers from all different realms get in the door.

Even if the tales of the occasional 1500 SAT kid being admitted are true, 1500 is higher than the majority of college students nationwide. Combine that with being one of the best athletes in the country and you've got a very rare individual.

For the kids who aren't on the short list of nationally ranked athletes, you better shoot for those 700's
  • sherpasherpa Registered User Posts: 4,706 Senior Member
    For the kids who aren't on the short list of nationally ranked athletes, you better shoot for those 700's

For HYP in the sport I follow you need both a high national ranking and 700s across the board (or an equivalent ACT).
    ^Same with K1s sport.
    HYP competes for the same few scholar-athletes....
    These kids have 2100-2350 plus GPA plus top nationally ranked athlete +

Why----Because HYP can...
    and these scholar-athletes deliver...including int'l top.
  • sherpasherpa Registered User Posts: 4,706 Senior Member
    I agree fogfog, with one minor modification. HPS compete for the same few scholar athletes; Y could compete for them but sometimes does, sometimes doesn't.

As the P coach told me, every year there about five kids that have the whole package, and those three (sometimes four) schools have to compete for them.

The H coach put out the vibe that "other schools recruit, we choose," but he's wrong, and he knows it. Those very few top scholar athletes are the ones doing the choosing.
    I would agree with the above post that a SAT score of 1500 for a HYP athlete is a rare event.
    I also know of 2 HYP sports that currently recruit athletes with SATs under 2100.
This discussion has been closed.