Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Recruiting Coach leaves school

2»

Replies to: Recruiting Coach leaves school

• varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,430 Senior Member
    ^ Right, if Nick Saban recruited you and your NLI signing will be a press-conference event - the education offered at your school is probably secondary.

But for the kids who take the "student" part of "student athlete" seriously, the best advice is to choose the school over the coach.
  • ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    But the truth is.. Nick Saban (or whomever) probably has multiple offers of admission to consider and it would STILL be up to him to pick the school first, coach second. Usually top athletes with press conferenced will have multiple recruiters knocking on his door. Have you never seen the Blind Side? ;)

But MOST are not those kids. Mostly it's a combination because coaches don't necessarily find you, you find them.. even if that's through the help of a well connected coach who is making the calls on your behalf.
  • varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,430 Senior Member
    But the truth is.. Nick Saban (or whomever) probably has multiple offers of admission to consider and it would STILL be up to him to pick the school first, coach second.

Nick Saban is the Head Coach of 'Bama football.
  • cle0patracle0patra Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    I guess that it's pretty common for the recruiting coach to leave. During my recruitment, I had three coaches within the same conference that decided to switch schools.

It was pretty weird to have one coach be at school A one week, then call you back the next week informing you that they're the new coach at school B.

One ended up moving to another school that was also recruiting me; a school in which I was much more interested in. It pays to be honest with coaches! Especially when they ask you about the other schools and your level of interest.

But anyway, coaches are looking to better themselves. If there is a better opportunity, it is likely that the coach will take it for various reasons (bigger salary, closer proximity to relatives, spouse, retirement, etc). You should ask a coach what there future plans are but I'd say to always be mindful. I wouldn't make my college decision based on a coach.
2»
This discussion has been closed.