Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How do recruiting coaches view ROTC?

dlbarberdlbarber Registered User Posts: 246 Junior Member
edited February 2013 in Athletic Recruits
DS would like to participate in ROTC and hopefully with an ROTC scholarship. He is looking at a few DIII schools, a DII and a few smaller DI. How do the coaches view the athletes that are in ROTC? Do they see this as a conflict in committment to their sport? We spoke with 1 ROTC recruiter who said that they "share" fairly well at that school, and that there was 1 weekend of ROTC training that they may have to miss a game, if there is 1 scheduled then. Does anyone have any experience with the ROTC athlete? Thanks.
Post edited by dlbarber on

Replies to: How do recruiting coaches view ROTC?

• stemitstemit Registered User Posts: 575 Member
    At S's D1 non-scholarship school, there was one athlete who was ROTC. Accomodations were made to permit him to do both - even to the extent of allowing him to miss an occasional game.
  • etondadetondad Registered User Posts: 1,122 Senior Member
    At a DIII school such as a NESCAC school I doubt there would be a problem. They have kids who take terms abroad and are fine with that--so taking a weekend should probably be no major concern. If you had to miss championships, I'm sure the coach wouldn't be thrilled, but again, that is the price of coaching in DIII.

However, if a coach as a limited number of "tips" you and another candidate are essentially tied in the coach's opinion, yet you have another commitment--well, it doesn't take a genius to figure that outcome. Good luck.
  • schoolhouseschoolhouse Registered User Posts: 267 Junior Member
    I guess that really depends on the situation some top D-1 programs frown on other activities altogether fraternities/ROTC/political activity/groups etc.....because for them it's about the team(sports) even with non=revenue sports,,

I'm think my daughter is catching some of that back lash based on the presidential election and her activity, but the coach was not at a loss to ask for tickets to be up close and personal for the photo opp. I also, remember catching flak when I wanted my college experience to include the frat and basketball....our coaching staff just was beside themselves thinking that I would wanna do something stupid like that.
This discussion has been closed.