Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

When to send coach's rec

acemomacemom Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
edited November 2013 in Athletic Recruits
The title says it all. At what point in the recruiting process should an athlete send his high school/club or private coach's recommendation to a prospective college coach? It seems recruiting is happening so early now. We don't want to miss the boat, but also don't want to jump the gun, so to speak. The college coaches are all saying "keep me updated with everything," but a letter of rec is really not an update. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Post edited by acemom on

Replies to: When to send coach's rec

• lhotsefretlhotsefret Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    I was recruited d1 and the coach never asked for an official coach recommendation. I'm sure he called the coach and chatted with her, but nothing official like that. If this is a d3 school you're looking at I wouldn't worry- my sister has verbally committed to a d3 school and some schools just don't feel the need to connect with the high school coach, or maybe already know them, and think a letter isn't necessary.

Are you a senior currently? If so, if a coach seriously wants you on their roster they should have at least pushed you to apply to their school early decision/whatever is available, or "verbally commit." If not, just keep updating the coach with emails of tournaments, how your high school team is doing, etc.
  • ELKyesELKyes Registered User Posts: 337 Member
    For my daughter she made a Player Profile sheet that she e-mailed potential schools, and her club team gave out at showcases, and lastly is available on line at gotosoccer.

On the profile was all her identifying information, including coaches e-mail and cell numbers. We were never asked for a coaches rec. This is all for D-3. D-1 may certainly be different.
  • swim4schoolswim4school Registered User Posts: 241 Junior Member
    I think it is slightly dependent upon the sport. If there are big venues where coaches might talk, or might watch an athlete, then the timing prior to that event would be important. For example, in swimming, there is a summer Jr National and summer Sr National event that has the majority of collegiate coaches making contact with swimmers/families on their recruiting lists. If the swimmer has had routine contact with the coach during the junior year, they may already be on the radar for a meeting at Nationals. However, if you are uncertain, a well timed coach letter of recommendation is nice to use about four weeks prior to that big event.

Never underestimate the value of a well placed phone call--rather than letter. When my D was recruited, the club coach picked up the phone, called the college of interest, and four hours later she was contacted by the university to offer an official visit.
  • SwimkidsdadSwimkidsdad Registered User Posts: 616 Member
    Acemom,

Any college coach who said "keep me updated with everything" would want to see a letter of recommendation from the high school or club coach. One of the most important updates that you will send the college coaches during junior year is the midyear grade report. You may want to wait until grades become available during early January and send the grades and letters of recommendations together to the coaches.
This discussion has been closed.