Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What's my college sports eligibility like?

Dwightmillard33Dwightmillard33 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
edited November 2013 in Athletic Recruits
I am a current college senior 2 semesters away from graduating. I play baseball, and I have played on the club baseball (NCBA) team at my university for the past 2 years. Basically, it is a low level college baseball where we play other major university's club teams, completely funded and ran by students. However, we do play a lot of the local junior colleges, so we do indeed see good competition.

Anyways, the reason why I never pursued college baseball directly after high school is because I was a below average player back then, and because of that, I never had any offers, so I decided to attend university. Two years into university, I discovered we had a competitive club program, so I decided to join that. I have gotten a lot better since high school, I have continued to work out and practice really hard as I still had the dream of playing at a higher level. I feel that I've gotten a lot better, as my fastball is now in the mid 80's range (couldn't throw past 75 in high school), and I have much better control of all my pitches. I am a very hard worker and have a huge passion for the game, and I will not stop working hard to achieve my goals. In fact I'm really working hard to be able to reach upper 80s by our upcoming spring season.

Anyways, I graduate in December of 2014, and was wondering what my college sports eligibility like? I will be 22 years old when I graduate. Since I never actually played for a "true" college team, only club, will I still be able to play as a grad student somewhere? Will I still have eligibility? I understand I have 4 years of eligibility once I start college, but like I said before, I have never played for a "true" college team, so basically I was just a regular student throughout my college years, and I don't believe if club baseball counts towards eligibility. Is D1 or D2 baseball worth pursuing if I wanted to play as a GRADUATE student somewhere? I've been debating between playing as a grad student (if I can), or trying out for an independent baseball league after college. Just wondering if I'll only have a year, or will I have more? Or if I should try walking on to my university's D1 team? (which is a very difficult task, regardless of talent). And let's say I only do have only one year of eligibility left after I graduate, would there be any university out there willing to take me only for a year? Even if I do attend graduate school there?

Somebody that is familiar with NCAA rules, please help me out, thanks!!
Post edited by Dwightmillard33 on

Replies to: What's my college sports eligibility like?

  • mortgagebkrmortgagebkr Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    you will have 4 years of eligibilty - club team play does not count against your years of eligibility.

    good luck
  • SwimkidsdadSwimkidsdad Registered User Posts: 616 Member

    From the NCAA D1 Manual:

    14.2.1 Five-Year Rule. A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official religious missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For international students,service in the armed forces or on an official religious mission of the student’s home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.

    14.1.8 Graduate Student/Postbaccalaureate Participation. A student-athlete who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of the same institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree, a student-athlete who is enrolled and seeking a second baccalaureate or equivalent degree at the same institution, or a student-athlete who has graduated and is continuing as a full-time student at the same institution while taking course work that would lead to the equivalent of another major or degree as defined and documented by the institution, may participate in intercollegiate athletics, provided the student has eligibility remaining and such participation occurs within the applicable five-year period set forth in Bylaw 14.2

    It appears that if you transfer to another school to get your graduate degree you would not be eligible, but contact the NCAA for clarification.
  • stemitstemit Registered User Posts: 575 Member
    ^i believe the OP has one year left. He must attend his current university for a graduate degree UNLESS he is accepted into a graduate program not offered by his undergraduate institution.

    This site is a dedicated baseball site. Search the forums and I'm sure your question is addressed. http://community.hsbaseballweb.com
  • schoolhouseschoolhouse Registered User Posts: 267 Junior Member
    the grad rule carries over to other universities as well,,,,

    there is a player at American University - Mens Basketball who played last year at Indiana University after four years and he is a starting guard their.

    Russell Wilson the QB of the Seattle Seahawks also did this playing QB as a grad student at Wisconsin and at North Carolina State with five years
  • Dwightmillard33Dwightmillard33 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I'm getting mixed answers everywhere so it looks like I'll have to contact the NCAA and find out. I would try to walk on at my current university in the fall, but that is a very difficult task, regardless of talent, because only 2 players in the last 10 years have successfully walked on (we're one of the top baseball programs in the country), which is why I would really like to see if I can catch on somewhere else perhaps at a smaller school, even if it is only for a year. But once again, not sure about my eligibility, and even if eligible, would there be any programs out there willing to take me for only a year?

    But anyways, thanks to all and hopefully I can figure something out.
  • stemitstemit Registered User Posts: 575 Member
    Coaches don't care if you're only there for a year. Coaches will put the best team on the field regardless of the athletes remaining eligibility.

    Perhaps pose your question to the school NCAA compliance officer.
  • Dwightmillard33Dwightmillard33 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Also if anyone can give me some explanation about NAIA rules as well regarding my situation would be greatly appreciated! I think realistically, my talent level is probably DII level at most. Considering DII, DIII, and NAIA universities. Once again, if eligible.
  • 3togo3togo Registered User Posts: 5,233 Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    This is not a tough question if you ask the right people. Contact the NCAA and the NAIA and get the correct answer ... instead of asking a bunch of strangers on the internet.
  • Dwightmillard33Dwightmillard33 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Yes, I should probably go ahead and do that. I only posted to see if there was anyone that might've been in a similar situation as me, though my situation is quite unique.
This discussion has been closed.