Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Paring down initial schools and D3 question

rhandcorhandco Registered User Posts: 4,292 Senior Member
edited November 2013 in Athletic Recruits
How many initial schools should a junior keep on his list? He has several mid-level D1 schools including Ivies, a few showing interest via emails, a top D3 school, and several average D3 schools. All are good academically, yet the only ones showing interest are Ivies, which we thought would be a stretch yet they know his SAT and AP scores, and GPA.

He is looking at about ten schools, but feels that the D3 schools aren't showing that much interest so might add more schools. Is that too many?

And for D3 schools; is it normal that they don't communicate as much as D1 schools? Some great D3 choices for him aren't returning his emails, but on paper they should be jumping at him much more than Ivies.
Post edited by rhandco on

Replies to: Paring down initial schools and D3 question

• classicalmamaclassicalmama Registered User Posts: 2,261 Senior Member
    My son's experience was similar. This is probably sport dependent, but our kid got no replies from D3 coaches his junior year. I got the sense that D3 recruiting (in rowing at my kid's school at least) picks up in the fall and winter of senior year once likely letters are out and the fall NLI date has passed. My best guess is that unior year they aren't going to "jump at" overqualified kids (academically and/or athletically) who are likely to matriculate elsewhere--sort of a sports-oriented Tufts Effect.
  • stemitstemit Registered User Posts: 575 Member
    The recuiting process is dynamic and unpredictable with new schools surfacing and others disappearing. Don't burn any bridges unless your family is sure there is no way the athlete would attend even if that school was the only one recuiting.

D3 schools don't have the budgets to really recruit until much later - beginning summer of senior year. So, patience for now and enjoy the process.
  • fenwaysouthfenwaysouth Registered User Posts: 988 Member
    Very few D3 schools will have the resources to recruit nationally for first semester high school juniors. Put yourself in their shoes, and you realize it isn't worth their time, effort and money to do so. The more aggressive D3s will begin in the summer between junior and senior year.

I wouldn't cross anyone of your college list at this time. What you have so far is interest, and interest is very good to start with. That interest needs to be qualified, and researched in detail. Emails and phone calls are the beginning of interest. At some point, your son is going to need to develop that interest into serious interest and eventually an offer. The more interest the greater the chances to get an offer. Most people that have been through recruiting will tell you it is a numbers game.....and they would be right. I would actually try to add more schools than 10 to your son's list. Many years ago, I believe we started with 50-60. Over the course of time we added and subtracted a bunch but we got down to 6 serious schools (summer between junior and senior year) my son would go to with or without athletics. We focused on those schools. That was our way of doing things, but the message is to cast a wide net and bring in as much interest as possible to increase your offer chances.

If I was in your shoes, I would attempt to branch out to get some diversity in the pool of schools. Your son has Ivy and D3 interest. Have you considered more academic focused traditional D1's such as Vanderbilt, Duke, UVA, or Stanford for example? I'd see where that takes you. If you get interest great. If no interest, then nothing lost but you at least checked it out.

Good luck!
  • ThreesdadThreesdad Registered User Posts: 546 Member
    Rhandco: The DD is exactly in the same spot as your S. She has somewhere between 30-50 schools on her list, the number varies by response. D is headed to the national Field Hockey Festival tomorrow for 3 great days of competition and exposure.

She sent out 35 emails to schools pre-selected for academics first, then athletics. She's received about 20 responses; several will not be at Festival but will see her play at Disney in February. She was invited to one camp she'll attend just before Christmas. About a dozen coaches confirmed they'll see her play at some point this weekend - this ranges from the DI serious scholarship school (not likely) to a few of the Ancient 8 to some of the great academic schools admired here on CC.

It's all a bit overwhelming for a 16 y/o to deal with this, but a great lesson in life and what a heck of a ride.
  • rhandcorhandco Registered User Posts: 4,292 Senior Member
    Thank you for the advice, I am feeling better that "reaching out" to many schools and not crossing anyone off the list is a good idea for him right now.

He is limited geographically in that he doesn't want to be more than 5 hours or so away, which gives the East Coast from about Virginia up to Massachusetts. I have talked to him about UMass and a few other D1 schools, but not sure about his interest.

The shocking thing for him is that we just did a very unofficial visit on the fly, just a drive-thru of one of his top choices to look at the buildings and the athletic fields, and the campus was absolutely dead on a Sunday. No, they weren't on break, just a normal weekend. He is feeling now that he really wants a non-commuter college experience, and some of his choices might go away because of that. And hopefully he will add some schools with better campus life (I'll be checking out CC threads for info on that).
This discussion has been closed.