Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Tip for X country athletes still competing

OnTrack2013OnTrack2013 Registered User Posts: 249 Junior Member
edited November 2013 in Athletic Recruits
As follow up to several posts where people called out how times aren’t comparable in cross country and coaches will look at track times….

Had the pleasure of standing next to a professional photographer at a nike x regional meet this last weekend. (The weather stunk and times were going to be awful). This person was hired to take video of the finish (all heats) to send to 8 different coaches (coaches were at the NCAA’s and all will be sent the same video). They wanted to see what prospective athletes looked like at the finish. i.e. would they push to not let anyone by them, not care if someone passed in last stretch, or are they giving it all even if no one is around them. This person said the coaches would get video out to at least place 25, so they are not just looking at the superstars but looking for potential members of their scoring team.

So if your son/daughter is still competing, empathize that they may not have any idea who is watching, and it may not even be the coach, but give it that final push just in case! Had I not spoken to them, you would have thought this person was just another parent, but since I didn’t have an athlete in the race, and was just a volunteer at the event, they were pretty open in sharing what they were doing.
Post edited by OnTrack2013 on

Replies to: Tip for X country athletes still competing

• musicmom26musicmom26 Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    Good advice. I always tell my D no matter what you have to push all the way to the end for timing purposes because every second counts, but that's an extra incentive as well.
This discussion has been closed.