Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

OVs and Parents

Replies to: OVs and Parents

• LawMom6LawMom6 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    There was no way I was going to put my 16 year old girl on a plane across the country by herself to discuss financial matters with a coach. I accompanied her on the OV, but knew when to keep my mouth shut and when to make myself scarce. When the coach made the verbal offer, it was directly to me when my D was not even within earshot.
  • varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,430 Senior Member
    ^16 years old going on an OV?
  • momof2010momof2010 Registered User Posts: 407 Member
    ^It's possible, I did not turn 17 till late Nov senior year high school^
  • varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,430 Senior Member
    Come to think of it I started Sr year at 16, too. Just seems unusual now.
  • SamuraiLandsharkSamuraiLandshark Registered User Posts: 3,450 Senior Member
    Like all other things, your mileage may vary. My kid was 16 for her OV's.

I was honestly less worried about any coach interactions with her about salesmanship or money or whatnot than I was about who was hosting her for visit.

At one of her visits, she was offered large quantities of alcohol and brought to a frat party. Fortunately she was amart enough to decline. She also did not end up going there, mostly because she got impression that would be standard, typical team bonding activity and she was bot into it.

If we were confised in least about money offers, my H and I would have contacted coach. It was very clear what was being offered. In terms of playing time, coaches will always say one thing and then do whatever they see fit duing season that they think will benefit the eam. Regardless of it mom or dad are sitting in meetings at unofficials or officials.
  • ahsmuohahsmuoh Registered User Posts: 1,346 Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for your input. Keep if coming. My son has traveled by himself so the travel isn't an issue. He will just be 17 when he starts his OVs. It's interesting to hear how many of you have gone to the OVs because all of the people we know who have been through this have stayed home. Oh ... What to do!
    Sorry about so many typos. Just realized that posting on smartphones with my fingers does not always work!
  • mama2004mama2004 Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    My high school senior son went on four OV this fall, but three were to high academic D3 schools and one to a high academic d1 that we had already visited and met with the coach at least once. None of the schools provide athletic money for his sport or even merit scholarships for academics. All are "meet 100% need" schools only. Several did financial aid prereads over the summer or I worked with the NPC's online and called the FA office with questions. These OV's did not include meetings about $, so it was easier to send my son without a parent.
  • carolinabcarolinab Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    My son went on his OVs (Ivies, for rowing) alone. No coach mentioned the possibility of parents going, but nor did we inquire. Just now, I asked him if there were any parents on the officials and he said it appeared that all the boys travelled by train and plane solo. No parents anywhere that he noticed ...
  • GingerPeachGingerPeach Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    Not the same because ours were unofficials, travel not paid for by the school, but the schools seemed to expect to see me with our son, and when he met with the coaches, I was there. I think OV's are different, though.
  • SwimkidsdadSwimkidsdad Registered User Posts: 616 Member
    For parents who are considering attending an OV it is important to keep in mind that the coach is in charge of the OV. Many coaches will give a brief presentation with a question and answer session afterward for both the parents and recruits at the start of the OV. Coaches understand that parents can influence a recruits choice of schools which is why successful coaches will encourage communication with the parents of highly ranked recruits. If the coach did not want parents present then a presentation would not be scheduled. If a parent wishes to attend these sessions then by all means go. If you want to ask the coach a question keep it short and try to ask only about the topics the coach has presented. After the sessions is over you can tour the campus, tour the town, or look at housing if that will be an issue.
  • swimdogmomswimdogmom Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    Some of the best advice we got on this topic was from a prior post on CC that stated the OV is for fellow team members and coaches to see if THE RECRUIT is a good fit for the team. The coach already knows the recruit has the right times, performance, stats or they would not be putting the effort and expense into the OV. The OV is a great time for the recruit to demonstrate they are independent, confident, and motivated young adults who can make their own decisions. Finances were 'off limits' at my kid's OV - probably unique to our particular situation.
    As parents we adopted the philosophy with recruiting coaches that we would speak only when spoken to, and would answer questions only when asked but most of those were 'chit chat' or OV drop off logistics - that was it. ALL communications went through our kid and I think the coaches appreciated that.
    I totally agree, swimdogmom. It seemed like a test to see if athletes would fit the team and if they could handle themselves with maturity. Money was never discussed there.

Maybe it depends on sport.
  • ahsmuohahsmuoh Registered User Posts: 1,346 Senior Member
    Swimdogmom - do when you say finances were off limits at OVs did you ask the coaches not to discuss with your swimmer?
  • swimdogmomswimdogmom Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    ^^ No - the COACH told my kid that this meeting with him at OV was not to discuss finances. A couple of important points for our particular situation: this is a mid-major D-1 university with less than full scholarships for this sport; and two, that half the team has no scholarships at all so we feel privileged that our kid got some scholarship money as well as reduction in room and board.
This discussion has been closed.