Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

OVs and Parents

Replies to: OVs and Parents

• ahsmuohahsmuoh Registered User Posts: 1,346 Senior Member
    Oh ok. I'm still learning! This will be an interesting ride to say the least.
  • HeightsHeights Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    My DD did only one OV, at the Ivy she will be attending. There were only five recruits there (including DD), all of whom are now officially the recruit class (each got an LL). For what it's worth, each one of the five had at least one parent there and many had two.
  • rose55rose55 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    The timing is probably different for every athlete, but are most of these situations EA/ED or RD? I'm not sure if OV will be a big part of the picture as it seems a verbal will need to happen by spring of junior year to secure a slot at one of my D's top choices. What is the earliest people can expect to get a financial pre-read? Is this date the same or different for Ivy, Stanford or other D1 schools? As long as all scores are in, spots have been offered and cleared through admissions is it reasonable to ask for a financial pre-read BEFORE any type of verbal commit? Thanks. I'm just a little confused on the timing and feel like OVs will be happening too late to have much of an impact. @ Heights was this the case for your D? Did she only go on one because she was already verbally committed? Thanks for any input. I have been going on unofficial visits, but trying very hard to blend into the background and let my junior D handle all the conversations with coaches.
  • DreadpiritDreadpirit Registered User Posts: 491 Member
    This very much depends on the program. For my D's OV, parents were expected to attend and they were included in the program. There were separate activities for the parents and the recruits pretty much stayed with the players the majority of the time.

As for financial discussions. For our OV, all of the players were long past committed by the time the OV rolled around. Most had been committed for over 12 months.
  • stemitstemit Registered User Posts: 575 Member
    ^FA pre reads are only as good as the info provided to the FA officer. FA will be based upon the income/assets in student's senior year. Most families have a better feel for their income/assets later in that year rather then earlier.

So, if you are getting reads based upon earlier periods, those reads have a diminished chance of being accurate.

The FA aspect can be very, very tricky - especially for those who have a small business or fluctuating assets (e.g., stock).
  • OnTrack2013OnTrack2013 Registered User Posts: 249 Junior Member
    Rose55 – timing of OV seems to vary significantly by sport and situation. In our case my son had applied to several D1 schools RD, most applications were still pending and coaches offered OVs at the start of spring semester to interest my son in their program.

He had not committed to any school prior to his OVs, but he was requested to tell the respective coaches if he was interested or not within a few days after each visit. Our experience was that for D1 track, (but not Ivys) recruiting and OVs keep going well into senior year. (Probably because there is very little athletic money to go around and coaches are interested in securing an athlete that is willing to attend a school on academic vs. athletic aid).

OVs were offered even by schools that had no athletic dollars available, which may be why parents were welcome at our sons OVs, they knew parents had to love the school too, since we were likely paying.
  • SwimkidsdadSwimkidsdad Registered User Posts: 616 Member
    Ahsmuoh,

Summer Senior Nationals and Junior Nationals would be a good time for you to try to talk to a coach. At last year's summer Junior Nationals many college coaches were there and many did talk to parents.
  • dvader123dvader123 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Question after reading Swinkidsdad's message. How approachable are these coaches, especially at the Ivy League and division 1 programs?

I know it depends on the coach's personality and situation at the time, but I am asking about this in general terms.

I would imagine that they are hard to approach, not because they are mean or grouchy people, but because they probably have hundreds of athletes with parents coming up to them asking about getting OVs and LLs. If I were a coach, I probably end up hearing the same story about an amazing son from parents who believes their child should go to the said college or university. It would make me kinda crazy if I have to read that many emails and talk with so many people who are not actually ready, academically or athletically. But then again, I am not a coach so I don't know what it is really like.

I am asking because parents and athletes seem to make it sound like it is not that hard to approach these coaches. Is it really that easy? Can I just walk up to a coach and ask him or her to consider me for the team? Then would that coach be welcoming to my request?
  • SamuraiLandsharkSamuraiLandshark Registered User Posts: 3,450 Senior Member
    The first thing you and your child need to do is read up on NCAA and through places like this on rules of recruiting and conversations with coaches. There are rules in place.

For example, we could visit a local Div 1 college and tLk to coach on his campus for a good amount of time in junior year. Same coach couldn't come up to D at a club event during the event, but after all games over could talk to her.

There are dofferences between athlete contacting coach, amd when. Phone - athlete could call coach before senior year but coach couldn't call back. Email okay.

The easiest way for most athletes to initiate comversation is by email. Send a resume as well as introduce yourself. If the coach likes what theynsee, they will comtact athlete.

A certain a,ount of persisitence is good. So is learning to deal with inevitable disappointment from coaches. Some coaches are great communicators and others are not. The coach may not have an assistant or have a bigger workload than another.

All contact, IMO, should initiate between student and coach. I am not a big believer in parents contacting them, particularly early in game.

Depending upon sport, season, and program, there is a lot to learn. How old is your child. Dvader?
    Thanks swimkidsdad. My ds swims ymca so doesn't necessarily go to juniors. He does have 4 cuts though. The coaches have asked him via email if he will be at these meets. Some do come to Y nationals. I did have a brief conversation last summer with a coach at summer y nationals. He was watching my son swim and a friend of mine was sitting next yo him and told him that my son liked his university.
  • swimdogmomswimdogmom Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    If your son has 4 junior national cuts, if we are talking about the same time standard cuts here, there will be some D-1 schools interested in him. The top tier D-1 schools may be looking at junior final qualifying times or national times. Have your son do the research to see how he would rank for colleges of interest and whether he would be a point scorer for their conference. Have him fill out the recruiting questionnaire and have him send that to the indicated contact from the form/team website (usually head coach). If he has the times and in some instances the grades, he will be on the coaches radar to keep track of, but contact may be minimal until NCAA rules permit contact with the potential recruit. Coaches we dealt with were more of the mindset, "we'll call YOU if we're interested" more so than the other way around. Not sure that I would have the recruit make a cold contact so to speak with a college coach at these higher level meets unless you have some prior introduction or contact with these coaches.
  • schoolhouseschoolhouse Registered User Posts: 267 Junior Member
    Fencing,

On two of the OV, the schools requested that parent attend - and they had a full schedule of entertainment/coaches time and then student - athlete time and like previously stated all the real recruit activity had been done this was more of a fit meeting.

On two other OV's none of the parents attended and it was just fencers doing their thing with the recruits.

In hindsight, the parent/student athlete visits were a little more comforting and more encompassing versus what my D said about her OV at one of the other schools it was interesting the school(s) with the better funded programs seemed way more accommodating to the parents.
  • dvader123dvader123 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    @Samurai. My child is still way too young. I'm just trying to understand the politics in advance =)
    Swimdigmom- yes my son has 4 junior national cuts. He is getting significant interest from D1 programs and he is handling the correspondence well. It is just the "next step" with OVs and meeting the coaches at big meets that we don't know what to expect. I am a person that likes to be prepared so just trying to get as much info as possible. He is not interested in Ivys. (Although 3 have contacted him - but haven't seen his grades ;). Not a bad student. Just not Ivy material)
  • OnTrack2013OnTrack2013 Registered User Posts: 249 Junior Member
    ahsmuoh - Take a minute and familiarize yourself with the NCAA D1 contact regulations. While the coaches are asking if your son will be at the big meets, don't assume they will come over. Actually due to restrictions, it is more likely that if they are interested they will not make contact at that time. They will be very careful on when they do and don’t communicate with your son and are limited in the number of times they can interact with him, especially if he is a junior.
This discussion has been closed.