Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

NESCAC personalities

suerosesuerose Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
S is being recruited by 6-7 NESCAC schools. S is a pretty straight-laced jock, very social, not political but leans conservative if anything, smart but not a super intellectual type, loves music but isn't "artsy"...basically your average American kid with a strong athletic hook and acceptable grades (per the coaches). Would some NESCACs be a better fit than others?

Replies to: NESCAC personalities

• JoBennyJoBenny Registered User Posts: 777 Member
    From your description it sounds like he'd fit in well at any of them.
  • HeightsHeights Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    Sounds like Wesleyan may not be the ideal fit
  • suerosesuerose Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Correct, Wesleyan wouldn't be ideal. Any others lean more toward that "hipster" feel? And/or which have uber intellectual culture? S is a bright kid, but let's just say he's most comfortable around video-game-playing regular folk.
    Also, we are looking at other conferences, but it seems that NESCAC is the most appealing athletic fit. We want to figure out which of the interested schools might be all-around fits.
  • ChicagoMamaChicagoMama Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    I think what others have said is correct. Wesleyan has absolutely peer academics with all the great nescacs but even on CC if you read the Wesleyan message boards and learn about the students who go there, and who want to go there, and why they want to go there .. you can tell whether that's something your kid will identify with or not.

However, one piece of advice - don't either buy into or discount anything until you get to the summer camps - it has been said here many times that it's as much about which schools want you, as about which schools you want. Keep an open mind. Parents frequently court certain schools because of preconceptions they have about "where they want to go." When you're in recruiting, if you're not a serious blue chip and are just in the game - pay attention when a coach comes up to you or your kid. And pay attention at a camp when a coach is not looking at your kid, but at another kid. Hard lessons to learn when you go through it for the first time.

My son is class of 2014. In March of 2013 we had a list of 20 schools where we sent questionnaires and video links. By May we were booked for 4 Ivy camps and 1 nescac camp. By July we had invitations from 5 nescacs to come to late summer camps - Ivies had no interest despite the big sell in the "pulling out of the classroom to meet the Ivy coach" junior year. By september he was most heavily recruited by 3 fantastic schools where he could have been a happy student. He did overnights at all, chose one based on his overall experiences, and committed late October, about as close to the application deadline as possible.

This timing gave us the confidence that the school and coach knew that our son had very seriously considered every school where he was being recruited, and still chose their school, and on our side it meant that by so close to the application deadline, we knew that our son was still on their super priority list. Again this was all "coach language" and "coach speak" which we learned to interpret here on CC. You have to ask the right questions and get the right answers.

Anyway, neither here nor there, I've just ended up on CC for a half hour to kill while I'm waiting in a parking lot so take my sharing with a measure of salt. My main message is - it's good to know the field you are going into - but keep in mind that those who are looking at your son know their own field 1000x better than you do. Keep in mind what you like; pay attention to those who want you … and keep lots of records and notes!
  • HVbaseballDadHVbaseballDad Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    Son visited Williams, Amherst, Wesleyan, Tufts, Trinity, Hamilton. Agree with Wesleyan comment. The hippie vibe and the football bleachers smack in the middle of the baseball field in the fall turned him off of Wesleyan. The hippie vibe would have suited me fine 30 years ago as I was following the Grateful Dead around - but different strokes for different folks. Liked Amherst and Williams, but did not like that baseball coaches had asst. coach responsibilities in other sports in off-season. Settled on Tufts because of family atmosphere in his sport, and more academic options (engineering).
  • fenwaysouthfenwaysouth Registered User Posts: 988 Member
    If my youngest son was not an athlete then I think the campus personality or vibe would have a greater influence on his decision. But since my kids play athletics then the athletic team's culture and academic majors/offererings would have the most influence on any decision we make to drop down a large sum of money for his future.

As we've seen with my oldest who will graduate in a couple weeks; he'll spend most of his time with the baseball team (and other teams) socially or at practice or training. When he's not there he'll be in class or studying. So, I'm not sure the campus culture is as important for athletes.

PS...Hippies are fine as long as they shower. Truthfully, I like a diverse campus and I'd want my son to experience many types of people in college. But that is his choice.

• mamabear1234mamabear1234 Registered User Posts: 3,524 Senior Member
    At my D's D III LAC they are only allowed to have 5 weeks of practice in the off-season. I don't know the NESCAC rules, I thought it applied to all D III. Since she plays a spring sport, most of her friends are NOT athletes but students in her dorm. Campus culture was important for her. Her opinions - she liked Wesleyan, Amherst felt too 'jocky', she liked Bowdoin better than Colby, because she perceived Bowdoin as more intellectual. I suspect she is the opposite of your S in some ways!
  • rose55rose55 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    My D was looking seriously at NESCACs and before she went in a different direction Amherst was at the top of her list. Part of the reason she liked it best was school spirit around the sports' teams. She also has a close friend who plays a sport at Amherst and it seems there are many students who attend the various sporting events. This includes the non helmet sports. People with direct experience at Amherst can correct me if I am wrong. Also, I don't know if this is the case at other NESCACs but we had heard this isn't the case at Tufts, for example. Student support/attendance/school spirit for athletics wouldn't matter to everyone, but it sounds like your son might like that aspect at Amherst. Best of luck to you and your son!
  • baltimoreguybaltimoreguy Registered User Posts: 279 Junior Member
    Based on your description -- "pretty straight-laced jock, very social, not political but leans conservative if anything, smart but not a super intellectual type, loves music but isn't 'artsy'" -- sounds like Trinity is a very good fit.
    Thank you all. This is very helpful. ChicagoMama correctly called us out on trying to narrow down the list now. Yes, we wanted to limit/target the number of summer camps and even this week in deciding whether to sign up for the SAT I or SAT subjects. Guilty. Rose55 also hit the nail on the head. School spirit and attendance at games is very important to him. Actually, I can't believe I forgot to mention that!
  • ChicagoMamaChicagoMama Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    SueRose - if it helps more, in retrospect I think we did not need to even do as many Ivy camps as we did. By and large the same non-Ivy coaches overlap at least 85-90% at each Ivy camp. That meant that ultimately the schools that recruited our son saw him up to 5 times last summer. This was probably overkill - they only need to really see your kid once to ask him to a campus clinic in later summer. (It was even more overkill because he did not end up being a real Ivy prospect because of his height - so he could have been seen just as well by a nescac coach at one Ivy as another.) Also - more camps are more chances to have "not great days."

We were fortunate in retrospect because he had no bad days at camps. But he could have.

If your son is a good Ivy candidate then do as many Ivy camps as you'd like to get a feel for the campuses and programs. But if you're looking at D3 etc. to start, you don't need to do as many Ivy camps as we did. One or two Ivy camps is enough to show the consistency and performance that will get you invited to a later summer campus clinic.
This discussion has been closed.