Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Coaches speak

2»

Replies to: Coaches speak

• Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 5,796 Senior Member
    Peter Slovenski's dad, Walter, was the long-time (and well loved) track and field coach at Bates. Peter's brother Paul, as well as his sisters Patty and Sally competed for Bates as well. This family is a serious track and field dynasty!
    http://www.bates.edu/news/1999/09/08/walter-slovenski/
  • mcr976mcr976 Registered User Posts: 153 Junior Member
    My D was talking to a coach at one of the Little Ivies and another NESCAC school both of whom said that there is a spot on the team if she gets in. I either take that as she needs to improve her times to gain athletic support or that the school doesn't provide athletic support (athletes need to maintain same academic standards of admission as the general applicant pool?). These are her top 2 choices and we will need to decide which one she should apply ED.
  • madamecrabstermadamecrabster Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    I think that it is important for your daughter to stay in contact with these coaches. She can continue to ask specific questions about the process which might garner further information that she would like to know. If you are speculating that she needs to have faster times, I think it is fine to ask. Also, have they done a pre read? If that passes muster then her academics will be 'good enough' for the school, otherwise I would expect she would be told what improvements would be needed. It sounds like they are interested if they say there is a spot on the team if she gets in! In our experience with D3 school, even when everything is a go and your application is in for the ED, there was still an element of not being completely sure about admission. It would be less stressful if there was a guarantee, and the surprise was removed.
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,442 Forum Champion
    I would probably ask if there is a goal she can reach which will allow the coach to support her through admissions, or whether they simply will not support athletes in the particular events in this recruiting cycle. Not to be too negative, but there is a world of difference between "you have a spot on the team if you show up next year" and "you are one of the athletes we have targeted in this recruiting cycle". If participating in the sport is really important to your daughter, she might want to keep looking for a school where she might have a better shot at an opportunity to contribute.
2»
This discussion has been closed.