Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

D111 - how much influence/pull does head football coach have?

2»

Replies to: D111 - how much influence/pull does head football coach have?

• gointhruaphasegointhruaphase Registered User Posts: 472 Member
    mofp97,

Honestly, a lot depends on the college at issue. It is possible that the coach's sway with admissions decreases with regular admission applicants, although this is not necessarily the case at all D3 schools. Most coaches do want the students to apply early in exchange for support.

You might want to google the name of the school and athletic or football recruits to figure out how the process works at that particular school (sometimes the school paper writes a piece or something is written in a newspaper).

In my view the comments truly could be read as: 1) your son is on his own for admissions, but the coach is really hoping that he gets in; or 2) the coach suspects that your son will be admitted but doesn't want you to rely on it..

• mofp97mofp97 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Another question: Son's friend is signing his letter of intent at their high school today to play football for D3. The kid hasn't been accepted yet. Son wanted to know if this is something he should do as well. Since this is our first go around, it was explained that it's a pretty big deal at high school. Parents attend, coaches are there, etc. Son feels a bit uncomfortable because he hasn't been accepted yet and doesn't want to be embarrassed if he isn't accepted.

Is this something he should do to show he is serious about playing football, even though he has made it very clear by way of text and email, that if accepted he would play for this coach?

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,206 Senior Member
    He is 'signing' nothing. There is no letter of intent for a D3 school, but many high schools allow the students to join in the fun at the signing ceremony. Many football students will sign today, but if they aren't accepted academically to the school then they are released from the NLI obligation.

It is NOT something he should do to show he's serious. The D3 coaches know it is not a real commitment, just a wish. At our high school last year, the signing ceremony was held in April for everyone, including the football players who wanted to participate. I don't think there were any D1 signers in february, but there were a lot of D3, junior college, non-NCAA sports kids there. I think there were 2 football kids at the jr college level.
  • zenatorzenator Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    mofp97:
    After rehabbing from a serious HS knee injury his freshman year in college, my son decided to transfer to another top academic college in the NE where the lacrosse coach told him that he would love to have him play for his team. After gaining admission, he went to thank the coach for all his support only to learn that he had pretty much gained admission on his own merits, since the coach had merely put in a "good word" as opposed to "pushing hard" for his admission.
    I point this experience out just to note that the coach was completely honest through out. My son just misinterpreted his words "love to have you on my team" as meaning "full support."
2»
This discussion has been closed.