Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Calling Coach

13»

Replies to: Calling Coach

• GKparent2019GKparent2019 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Thanks to everyone for your input.

I think my D will have sometime over the holidays to do some research on colleges. She has an idea of what she wants to major in at college ( this could change too) although that is a good starting point. She also has a good idea of what part of the county she wants to go to. So with some research she will be able to narrow down choices for herself. Then she will look at calling some coaches early next year.
    I will let everyone know how it goes.
    This is all crazy but ATLMOM98 is correct time goes by too fast to just sit on the sidelines.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 3,768 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    A good point about relationships by atlmom98 -- we have found that coaches are looking to add a certain kind of kid to their program. There is a lot of talent out there, so they are also looking at players who will work well in their system, in their team culture. That comfort level with whether a player will mesh well, takes time. My kid follows his preferred teams on twitter, facebook, emails the coaches about good wins and losses and post-season play. He watched livestream matches when he could, to see how the team played, and evaluate how he could contribute. His attitude and diligence got him some good looks by teams that would otherwise seem way out of his recruiting league.

And @atlmom98 -- congrats to your daughter!
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,243 Senior Member
    Classicalmama, this girl is a freshman, not an 8th grader. It is different for girl's sports, especially lacrosse and soccer, as those teams at the most elite schools are full before junior year or in the fall of junior year (before the high school spring season, so the spots are offered off the spring sophomore season, or at least the students are a good way into the process).

Most of us aren't talking about long conversations with the coaches, just emails saying "I'm playing at the Showcase next week, and my games are at XXX, YYY, ZZZ." or "We won the state championship" or "I'm going to be in Mayberry next weekend and will stop by the field." The OP's daughter would be setting up the summer during her freshman year, which tournaments, which showcases, etc.

Girls lacrosse is trying to put a stop to this early recruiting and wants no contact, none, between students and college coaches until Sept 1 of junior year. That way, no one will be committed until a Junior. The coaches want this, but also want it to be a rule because unless everyone does it, some will still recruit early. Is there opposition? Sure, because the showcase tournaments are big money and some sophomore teams might not attend (I don't think so, the kids love to go) and so are camps held by the coaches on campuses which might require some reorganization so that the coaches aren't recruiting. Believe it or not, the NCAA approves these rules sport by sport, and has not made any such rules for over 5 years, so women's lacrosse is still operating under the old system of 'get them early.'

There has been a lot of discussion on whether the Ivies participate in this early recruiting. They do. They can't give out the same assurances other programs can give that admissions will happen, but after doing it for years they can be pretty sure which athletes will get in and send the others on their way before the applications are even submitted. In lacrosse at least, the elite programs like Hopkins, Duke, Northwestern are recruiting sophomores. Even Army and Navy are recruiting early, long before the application, appointments, and interviews take place.
  • gointhruaphasegointhruaphase Registered User Posts: 473 Member
    I have no quibble about starting early and aiming high. And, there is absolutely no doubt that the best high school athletes do not always end up playing in college, and the main reason (other than choice) is that they think the coaches will come to them. Whether you call it "relationships" or a "smart marketing approach" matters not. The point is that if you are assertive and reach out to coaches, you are far more likely to succeed.

My personal view is that a targeted plan is better than just calling coaches, but of course the poster may well have such a plan in place. I reiterate that I don't think it is one size fits all. It should be tailored to the individual recruit.

One possible plan would look like this:

1. Go watch some D1, D2 and D3 practices and games. Assess the level of talent, size and speed of the girls. Cross reference that with they size and academic level of the schools you think your daughter would like to attend.

2. Have a professional keeper tape made for each of the next 3-4 years. There is nothing wrong with having in addition a highlights video for games. However, my understanding is that coaches are not looking for the 3-4 outstanding saves. They are looking for certain athletic markers that can more easily be seen on a skills tape.

3. Schedule your daughter for a couple of "throw away" showcases or ID camps to get her used to the drill, knowing that if they are money making operations, they likely will rate the kid high to encourage the repeat business.

4. Fill out college questionnaires. These can be updated as more information is assembled.

5. Draft up a college CV with awards and recognition.

6. Then start with the calls. Follow them up with emails, and either attach videos or a link where the tapes can be seen. I would be sure that the calls have a purpose (e.g., I am going to this tournament, this id camp, inviting yourself for an unofficial), leave a message if no one picks up. Then follow up the calls with a message, "I just left you a voicemail message. I am going to be at the __________ ID camp. I would love to meet you there if you are planning on attending."

7. Perhaps the most important part of the plan is a parent to kid conversation about what the kid wants. Say kid wants D1, and only D1, I would respond "that's okay. Let's give it a shot. But, it is also okay to decide now, or a year or more from now that you want D2 or D3, or no soccer at all for that matter." My real concern about starting in 8th grade is that a kid thinks she has failed if she doesn't reach the goals she set when she was 13 years old.

• classicalmamaclassicalmama Registered User Posts: 2,261 Senior Member
    @twoinanddone At the beginning of the thread, GKparent said that her daughter was an eighth grader.

I'm out of my league here, and you all are giving great advice. This all makes me really thankful that my boys are rowers! As many of you have pointed out, this process starting so young just seems crazy. On the other hand, I've always felt that the busier teens are with activities, the safer they are from physical and emotional harm. Emailing and blind calling coaches beats posting endless bored selfies on instagram, I supppose!
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,243 Senior Member
    Yes, but the first post was last January, when the daughter was in 8th grade. I assume she went to 9th grade in September. It is still early, but not too early for the very top, most elite programs.
  • GKparent2019GKparent2019 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Ok.. I am sorry for any confusion I might have caused.. Instead of opening a new post I just updated my old post. I will give you some info on my D that is current.

She is in 9th grade now.
    She is currently on an ECNL team
    She does have a long way to go but is improving every year.

gointhruaphase -

1. we have watched all levels on college soccer online. It is hard to get to games in person due to her schedule and our location. My D is actually tall for a girl. 5' 9" at 14 yr

2. we are starting to try and make a video ourselves. It is not the easiest thing to do

3. Her ECNL team will being doing showcases come spring. She has done one ID camp and is going to do another. Both a D1 schools but very different sizes

4. she has filled out the questionnaires

5. We are working with her on a resume

6.I really thought the calls should be happening soon, as long as she is ok with it.

7. We have had this talk with her already. If her plans change it is ok.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Looks like this is going to get serious for my D coming in the spring/summer months.
  • gointhruaphasegointhruaphase Registered User Posts: 473 Member
    GK,

Good, then full steam ahead. Think about a good strength and conditioning coach.

As far as the video goes, do some research on available video cameras. You should be able to find on Amazon a decent HD video camera designed for amateur athletics in a kit with a tripod for about $400. Take the video when d goes to goalkeeper training sessions. The tapes will be better if shot outdoors. The amateur cameras aren't that great with athletic movement with the low lighting indoors. Talk to her GK instructor about doing a range of skills. Then set up the camera and just let it roll.

Before you edit the tape, go onto You Tube and look at the goalkeeping recruiting videos, particularly the professional tapes. I think six minutes would be a long tape. Four minutes would be fine. If you can reduce it to 30 seconds per skill, that would probably be good. Then the video will become a conversation piece with the coaches. D can ask them what they thought about the tape, what other skills they want to see, how long for each skill.
13»
This discussion has been closed.