(I posted this again because I really need more feedback)
I am a freshman that plays college soccer for a private liberal arts NCAA division 3 school and I was wondering if I should transfer this year to play Division 1 or wait one more year to transfer as a sophomore?
Throughout my first college season I managed to play in 14 games out 19 and start 2. I registered 5 shots and 1 assist as a freshman.
Here is the situation, initially I wanted to transfer after my sophomore year because i had tore my ACL prior to college which slowed me down last season however a recent head coaching change to my dream school which is D1 (there ranked about 75 in the D1 college rankings and they won their conference but had a .5 win percentage) caused me to start rethinking if I should leave this year. Also they have a lack of recruits (only two right now, a goalie and a midfielder, that's confirmed) and are very behind on there recruiting right now because of the coaching change which gives me an unusual window of opportunity, I can also tell they are because they have a camp at the end of the February in order to maybe salvage some recruits. I can't contact the coach of the school yet because I would have to ask for my release from my current coach because of NCAA rules and if I don't end up going I would mess up my relationship between my coach. I am in a tough spot since I'm not 100% sure if the coach would offer me a walk on tryout for next season (I'm pretty sure though considering the lack of recruits) and if I contact him and he says no then I'm screwed with my current coach. To be honest though I don't really like the school I am at currently but I love the team at my current school and the coach really values me as the future of his program but it would be my dream to play at this division 1 school since its a state school and alot of my friends go there. With the schools lack of recruiting this year and with alot of seniors leaving and with the alot of the players on the roster being redshirted in the past it gives me a very good chance of making the team if offered a walk on tryout. I don't even mind being reshirted since I would still be on the team of my dream school. However I could wait one more year and transfer as a Junior to my dream school and play D1 but I believe right now the window of opportunity is perfect and maybe next year I might not have that good of a chance since the coach might bring in more recruits and more quality recruits. Another problem I have is that when I applied to my dream school as a senior I got wait listed for months and then denied so I'm not sure if I would get accepted this time around with 3.1 GPA so far at my current which academically is actually a pretty good school. Since I would be applying I a transfer I don't know what my chances are for being accepted this time around.
What should I do? Should I take this chance and go for it? Or wait and transfer after my fall season? I'm struggling with this decision and I don't have much time left. Please help. It would really help if someone had experience with transferring and trying to "walk on" at a D1 school for soccer.