Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Following up with coaches on film

sanmlnsanmln Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
What is the protocol for following up with coaches regarding film they've requested and we've submitted? My D'16 followed up with emails to make sure they'd received the film, and all responded that they had and they'd get back with her when they'd reviewed it. Some of these coaches got the film six weeks ago and haven't responded with feedback. They are in season (conference play right now), so it's hard to know if they are just busy or if they didn't like what they saw.

Another coach texted D that she would watch the film on Thursday and get back with her, and we didn't hear anything Friday. Again, did this coach just get busy or did she not like D's film?

So my questions are: 1) in your experiences, will coaches respond if they have negative feedback, or do they use their silence as the negative feedback and 2) how much following up should D do? If the ball in the the coach's court, do you leave it there or do you try one more time with a request for feedback if you haven't heard anything when they said they would respond? Being in season/conference play sort of muddies the waters on how much time the coach has for recruiting.

Replies to: Following up with coaches on film

• fenwaysouthfenwaysouth Registered User Posts: 988 Member
    sanmin,

If they've requested it in season then they are certainly capable of reviewing it and following up. In my experience coaches use silence to signal "we aren't interested at this time". However, I think your daughter should still follow up with a phone call (yes I know kids only think phones are for texting) and an email.

Also, in my experience I found many coaches eventually did come back to talk with my son who previously were not interested. It happened alot and it really pissed off my son. None the less, he came to realize sometimes he wasn't their top recruit, or they were unorganized, or both. In many cases the schools that took the longest to get back to us were not the best fit. Those schools where my son was an excellent fit got back to him immediately.

It is extremely important to understand that the coaches recruiting timetable is probably not the same as your daughter's timetable. I can't emphasize that enough. Coaches move at their own pace, and there has to be a compelling event to (almost) force them to action. In a lot of cases the best action is for your daughter to continue her efforts to get offers. When coaches find out another school has offered someone they are recruiting it will pick up. Trust me.
  • sanmlnsanmln Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    Thanks! I will have her followup in a few more weeks then.
  • takeitallintakeitallin Registered User Posts: 3,378 Senior Member
    If the coaches have requested film they are interested on some level. At that point it is fine for your D to contact them and a phone call is really not out of order. They may not respond right away if they are in conference play , but she should keep calling until she can talk to them. She could also send each an email to ask the best time to call. By calling she will show them she is really interested. When our S was going through this he called the coaches on his high interest list frequently to let them know h is schedule and to just to check in. His current coach later told him that his persistence during recruiting made him stand out.
This discussion has been closed.