Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Men's Lacrosse - CA Sr looking to play

BrownParentBrownParent Registered User Posts: 12,776 Senior Member
I know it is very late but I am trying to help a student who is interested in recruiting. CA student his club team is newish no recruiting help, but he said they went to state 2 years and he said he was an all star. So we are trying to do a crash course on recruiting. I see D1 usually is set in Jr year. What about D2? I saw a roster for 2016 already when I looked at Colorado Mesa. Wow are there really almost 60 on a team? What about D3?

Academics are okay, a borderline B student improving. But test scores were not prepped for or taken seriously and they are low 840 M+CR, I have recommended a retake.

Also he is looking for money. I don't see how any lacrosse recruit can get much if NCAA D1 is 12 and D2 is 11. A club coach talked to him. Clubs don't give athletic scholarships, right? But they said he could get merit for grades, seems they don't use scores at that college. They will qualify for need aid at fafsa only, not sure CSS, divorced parents.

Replies to: Men's Lacrosse - CA Sr looking to play

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,121 Senior Member
    If a D1 (or D2 for that matter) has 60 players on the roster, it means 40 of them are never seeing playing time and did not get any athletic scholarship money. Men's teams do tend to have about 30 players. No scholarship money for club teams or D3, but don't think that makes them iless competitive. I know a lot of players on club teams who could have received substantial money for D1 but wanted to attend the schools they ended up in with only club teams, and even a few who transferred from scholarship programs to club-only schools.

Just because his club team is new doesn't mean the coaches don't know anything about recruiting. Many coaches in the west played lacrosse on the east coast for many years, have connections to other coaches and recruiters. My brothers are in Denver and know hundreds of coaches on the east coast.

Here is a list and rankings from last year for Men's D2: http://www.laxpower.com/update15/binmen/rating02.php

See if any of these schools interest him. They are his best bets of getting any money, but even if he gets some it won't be much. As you suspect, those 12 or 11 scholarships are sliced and diced pretty thin. Most kids on my daughter's D2 team also have merit scholarships or Pell/fed aid. You can't get institutional need based aid plus athletic money.

CSU Pueblo is a fairly new program and academically it might fit him. Some of the Catholic schools (St. Leo's, Belmont Abby) also may fit academically.

• BrownParentBrownParent Registered User Posts: 12,776 Senior Member
    Great info. yes I found laxpower, helpful.
This discussion has been closed.