Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Help Understand Status

CHD2013CHD2013 Registered User Posts: 2,510 Senior Member
A relative is interested in participating in her sport in college. She has spoken to a coach at a small liberal arts school who mentioned that she thought there was a place on the team for the student and that the coach would submit materials to admissions on behalf of the student. She is still not clear on her status. Is she being recruited? Do DIII schools even recruit athletes? How likely is she to make the team based on the coaches actions/comments?

Replies to: Help Understand Status

• DreadpiritDreadpirit Registered User Posts: 491 Member
    Yes she would be considered a recruited athlete. Although I would clarify with the coach to know for sure, in most cases, is she is admitted, she will make the team. Exceptions I can think of a) some (not many at all) coaches are a bit deceptive and over recruit and in this case she is being recruited to tryout b) coaching change between now and fall and the new coach doesn't respect the old coaches selections, c) she shows up way out of shape
  • gointhruaphasegointhruaphase Registered User Posts: 352 Member
    CHD,

Short answer: D3 schools absolutely recruit athletes. In fact, plenty of private (and dare I say public) high schools recruit athletes, so it should not be surprising that D3 colleges recruit. Unfortunately, as strangers to the transaction, CC posters can't really provide any more in the line of answers than that. However, the coach will definitely know the answers to your questions. Accordingly, it is on the D3 recruit to ask the coach: 1) for (and follow up to find out the results of) an admissions pre-read; 2) if the coach will support the athlete with admissions; 3) where the athlete is on the list of recruited athletes; and 4) whether the coach cuts recruited athletes. Incidentally, I have heard numerous stories of recruited athletes not making the college team for many different reasons. There is only one way to clear this up, and that is to ask the coach.

Most D3 schools expect the recruit to apply ED. With the ED deadline weeks away, the relative must become clear about her status as soon as possible.

Wish this young lady the best of luck for us.
This discussion has been closed.