Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

DIII Commitments

mcr976mcr976 Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
I see many athletes in mt Ds area who have committed to DIII schools. How is this possible if there are no NLIs or LLs in DIII?

Replies to: DIII Commitments

• fenwayparkfenwaypark Registered User Posts: 696 Member
    There are no NLIs in D3 because there are no athletic scholarships.

There have been reports of likely letters being issued by D3s

Athletes who say they have committed to a D3, before they have been accepted and confirmed their attendance, are using shorthand for saying they have committed to the admissions process
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 19,521 Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    They are verbal commitments only. They do not sign an NLI. We had many students going to D3 schools participate in the signing ceremonies, but they had nothing to actually sign. Of course, we had an athlete going to Navy 'sign' too, and a few going to community colleges. My daughters signing ceremony was in April, and she'd actually signed in Nov.

I did read that a very D3 schools are now producing letters for the athletes to use in the ceremonies, but they are not valid contracts. Most kids don't sign the actual letter in public as it has personal information on it, like the amount of the scholarship.
  • gointhruaphasegointhruaphase Registered User Posts: 461 Member
    It is said that verbal commitments are worth the paper they are written on. The agreement typically is to apply ED in exchange for coach support through admissions. I get the sense that some D3 colleges do not like the idea that this arrangement is sometimes called a "verbal commitment."

This appeared from an interview with Middlebury admissions in the "Middlebury Campus" -- the Middlebury College newspaper. "Recruited athletes are often given extra and earlier advance notice as to their viability as a candidate for the College based on criteria set by the NESCAC, which can often lead athletes to premature assumptions about their admittance. Instances have occurred where students in the recruitment process have claimed a “commitment” to the College similar to those allowed at Division 1 institutions. As a matter of protocol and process, Buckles said, Admissions will track down these claims to correct them when they see them."
  • mcr976mcr976 Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    I was aware of this but thought that maybe some D3 sports were treated differently (lax, football, ice hockey for example) but it seems as though this "commitment" may be pre-mature. My D has had backing by a D3 (track/XC) as part of ED but until she is officially accepted, I would not say she has "committed".
    Often they use the phrase 'committed to the process'
    A few D3 scools have one men's team and one women's that play as D1 too, so you might see commits to those sports too. Often hockey or lacrosse, but I've seen soccer too. Men's crew has its own rules.
  • average3average3 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    What exactly does it mean if it is a DIII school and I am a "recruit" who verbally committed to the coach? I had to send in my transcript for an academic pre-read and apply EA. I passed the pre-read, went on an official visit and committed to the coach. I sent in my application, but I haven't heard anything from admissions. How do I know that all is good? I don't want to miss other application deadlines if there is a problem. Should I feel comfortable in the support from the coach that that will get me in?
    A D3 verbal typically means that you have agreed to apply early decision in exchange for coach support through admissions. It is not a guarantee of admission. That said, most recruits that have had an overnight and passed a pre-read should be fine. But, a backup plan is always a wise idea.
    Even after admission, something can go wrong and you might not be able to go to that school. I explained this to my daughter but she only wanted to apply to one school. She knew she'd have to take a gap year (or go to a school that accepted late applications) if something didn't work out. In fact, she committed in Nov. (a D2 school) and in Feb when the FA letter came, the merit award was lower than we expected. We were able to work it out, but there were some nervous days there.

Another thing that can go wrong is the coach leaving. It happens.

You just have to decide if you are willing to put all your eggs in one basket. It usually works out, but are you ready to live with that decision if you can't go to that school, or if you can go but the team isn't what you were expecting.
  • madamecrabstermadamecrabster Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    The only way you "know" for sure that all is good will be when you receive your admission decision. When you applied I am sure you were aware of the date when that information would be sent out. It is probably a wise idea to have some other applications ready to go on the off chance that you are not admitted. Without specifics about what the coach told you during the process it is hard to say for sure in your case. You could contact the coach if you have questions that have not been answered other than that final admissions decision.
  • fleishmo6fleishmo6 Registered User Posts: 550 Member
    @average3
    If you applied EA you can apply to other schools
    It is not binding, in fact students often apply to other EA schools at same time
    ED is binding
    Generally , there is a date set when EA results will be posted/or mailed out
    You generally will not hear from coach prior to that date
    Good luck
  • zenatorzenator Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    Agree with gointhuraphase about the wisdom of having a back-up plan in place.

The phrase "ED1 with a coach's verbal support/commitment" has a wide divergence of meaning depending on the D3 college, the coach and the sport. For example, some D3 colleges, like the NESCAC, have different levels of support (tip vs. slot). Some admissions departments (ex. MIT) give less weight than others to a coaches support. Some coaches have more weight than others. Depending upon the school, some sports may have less/more admission support than others. All in all, it is a confusing and uncertain process.

That is why you really need to do your homework as to the particular D3 institution of interest before applying ED1. It is also why having a back-up plan is prudent. Better safe than sorry.
  • njfbmomnjfbmom Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Every sport is different but I can tell you if the coach gave you full support and you got through the pre-read process you should be accepted. My son was recruited for football and the coaches were very transparent about each step and went exactly as discussed. You must hear the words "full support." Anything else could potentially end up in a miscommunication. Additionally, the coaches spoke with my husband and I, not just my son do we were very comfortable with the situation. Good luck.
  • swivelneckswivelneck Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    As I posted elsewhere on CollegeConfidential, my son and I did all the right things before he applied ED1 and wasted it on a school.... number 1 or 2 recruit for the year he was told, did preread, was told he was going to be fine and need not worry. I was told the same, over lunch, on a weekend visit. Coach saw him play probably a half dozen times, including at camps and top events. Had son used his ED elsewhere at other schools that recruited him, i suspect he would be in good position now. But this school rejected him after that whole process we did. I am a born skeptic and we were super cautious... yet still got screwed by the process. At least the D1 process and recruiting my son has gone through is transparent! He has opted to do D3 because of wanting to start sooner on a team and because he wants a partial year commitment so he can focus more on academics and his major the other part of the year. So if anyone has any advice on what to do next.... I am all ears. What do you do if you were recruited for D1 and many D3s, then commit to a school for D3 ED that recruited you hard, and then they reject you? What do you do now that everyone's recruiting classes are full at the academically strong programs?
    Swiveln,

I am very sorry. You are not, however, the first, nor the last I suspect, with this type of experience. It does happen. It would have been a good idea to have a fall back plan ready to go, but it is not too late for that. I would approach the other schools that tried to recruit son, tell them the full story, and ask if there is availability. You might be surprised. They might have lost out to another school on their top recruit and are looking for someone just like your son.

There are lots of stories about bumps in the road like this. Usually, they work out in a way that is better than the original plan. You will have to scramble, but you are going to have to scramble anyway to get in under the RD wire.

Best of luck
This discussion has been closed.