Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is it that easy to be an NAIA athlete?

hsseniior2hsseniior2 Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
edited December 2015 in Athletic Recruits
I am a senior right now and I always thought that I will never play any sports in college but I stumbled across this small college that had their slowest male track athletes running 13s in the 100 and 27s in 200m. This is crazy, I run 11.8 and 24.9 and I am just considered average. Does this mean I can run track at that college? They only have 12 guys on the entire track and field roster, Do NAIA colleges recruit? I honestly don't care about getting a scholarship but the school is one of those academic schools so the school is kind of a reach for me, but if I can be a recruited athlete it will help me get in. So do I email the coach? I am getting a feeling that all the athletes there are walk-ons so I don't know if I am suppose to. I am still in shocked, I always thought college athletics are for the super athletic.

Replies to: Is it that easy to be an NAIA athlete?

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,222 Senior Member
    Yes, some NAIA schools recruit, and yes, some college teams (at all levels) have very average athletes in some sports.
  • Jay1811Jay1811 Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    Absolutely to pretty much all your questions. You should email / call the call of the NAIA school right away.
  • hsseniior2hsseniior2 Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    There is this athlete recruiting questionnaire on the school's website, do I just fill that out instead of emailing them?

Also, how will they actually believe and verify that I run those times? I ran JV on my high school team and I never completed in any other sanctioned events so my times were never officially recorded and posted online or anywhere. I just ran the race for fun basically. My coach only recorded and kept file the Varsity runners' times.
  • Jay1811Jay1811 Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    Not sure on how to verify your running times. If the times are that slow at the college, my guess is they do not do a lot of recruiting or have many dollars for scholarships.

You should fill out the questionnaire and email the coach directly saying you filled out the questionnaire.
  • needscaffeineneedscaffeine Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    I agree with Jay1811 that you should do the questionnaire AND e-mail the coach. I often felt like the questionnaires my son sent out last winter were swallowed up into a black hole. Some coaches responded promptly to questionnaires and others never responded at all. It can be a long time before a coach gets around to following up on a questionnaire so it is important to signal the coach (preferably the head coach) that you have sent it.
  • hsseniior2hsseniior2 Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    I am going on a college visit there this week. On the website where I signed up for the visit it asks me "Are you interested in participating in NAIA athletics? *"
    Maybe they just let everyone walk on?
    This school actually only has 5 sports(swim,track,soccer,golf, and XC).

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,222 Senior Member
    Some schools really depend on the questionnaires and others ignore them. My daughter filled one out and I swear the coach responded within an hour requesting more information, wanting to set up a visit, etc. I does happen to be the school she attends. Other schools asked her to fill out the questionnaire after contact was made by some other method just to have all the info in one place.

If you know a few schools you are interested in, do the questionnaire and follow up with an email saying that you completed the questionnaire. Really interested? Follow with a phone call.

This discussion has been closed.