Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Academic Index too low?

2»

Replies to: Academic Index too low?

• 8bagels8bagels Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    That's not true at the Ivies.

The best some of them will do is add the SATII into the equation if it will help.

But the SAT I will never be ignored, and will always carry a lot of weight.
  • lostaccountlostaccount Registered User Posts: 5,118 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    needscaffeine, the fact that your offspring is a legacy should not impact at all on the coach but will on admissions. In other words, if the coach wants a student, then that student will probably have a better chance for being acceptable to adcons if the student is a legacy. But being a legacy would not sway the coach. The coach is concerned only with winning and then with satisfying the admissions requirement.

Sorry-had not read subsequent posts saying the same thing.
  • TheGFGTheGFG Registered User Posts: 6,219 Senior Member
    Sorry also. Some of you must have posted as I was writing.
  • varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,430 Senior Member
    ...one college implied they can replace SAT I scores with SAT II if those are better. Does anyone know if that's true?

@TheGFG , I know you've been down this road before so I'm probably not saying something that you don't already know, but the AI is really an internal tool to ensure coaches are in compliance with their recruiting. That number is calculated using the SAT or ACT(1/3), GPA(1/3) and SAT2(1/3) if available. A coach really isn't going to be able to cherrypick which scores he wants to use when they compile the team-wide AI.

As you know, the recruit's application is evaluated by admissions and they're going to be looking at the whole package. If her SAT math is a little soft, but she has strong subject tests - maybe that will help offset that.

When a coach is looking at how her scores will impact the team AI, bear in mind that the SAT is only 1/3 of the AI calculation of which the math component is 1/2. So for example, if she has straight 700's in 3 sections of the SAT and 2 SATii tests, there would only be a 5 point AI difference if she had all 700's except a 600 in math. In other words, a 100 point difference in her SAT math would only mean a 5 pt. AI drop. Not saying that's insignificant, but would probably be easy enough for a coach to offset if her athletics made her a high value recruit.
2»
This discussion has been closed.