Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Academic Index too low?

sam112935sam112935 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Hi,
I'm currently getting recruited by Columbia University for volleyball. I am a legacy so I think that gives me a leg up however Columbia has not seen my transcript yet and I received a D my sophomore year in a math honors class. My weighted gpa right now is a 3.7 and my unweighted is a 3.1 however I'm planning on at least getting an unweighted 3.2 gpa my junior year. Do you think my transcript will restrict me from getting a likely letter or them even wanting me? Does being a legacy recruit help with admissions at all?

Replies to: Academic Index too low?

• sam112935sam112935 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I also retook that math class over the summer and received an A
  • needscaffeineneedscaffeine Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Our experience is that being a legacy may help with admissions, however, my son just went through recruiting and being a legacy didn't seem to pull any weight with the coaches at the schools that my husband and I attended. That surprised us. We had donated money to both schools for years but that apparently didn't mean anything to the coaches. It might have been different if we had been donating money to the team/athletic department instead. In the end, my son was accepted to a school with which we had no prior connection at all. Maybe that is just as well.
  • needscaffeineneedscaffeine Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    I should clarify that my son was actually recruited by the coaches at our alma maters but we did not feel that his being a legacy mattered to them.
  • varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,430 Senior Member
    A lot will hinge on your SAT/ACT scores
  • fenwayparkfenwaypark Registered User Posts: 696 Member
    edited December 2015
    In my limited experience, if someone is being recruited by an Ivy, one of the very first things that happens in the process is that the coach requests information about grades and test results. The reason is that coaches do not want to waste time on prospects who are unlikely to make it through the admissions process. Makes sense, right?

So if this information has been requested and provided, and the coach is still in touch, that means the prospect is still in the game from an academic perspective. If this information has not been requested, that is not a good sign about the level of the coach's interest about the prospect's athletic ability.

There is definitely a legacy advantage or tip in admissions at the Ivies. However, I have not seen a legacy advantage or tip in athletic recruiting. In other words I do not think a coach would allocate a slot to a legacy prospect instead of a non-legacy prospect who the coach rates more highly.

If anything, it might work the other way. If the coach thinks legacy status might work to get the prospect in on their own, the coach might think about saving a slot for someone else and having the legacy prospect walk on.
  • sam112935sam112935 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Do you think my gpa/grades are too low though? They have requested to see my transcript after this semester so I'm sending it to them next week.
  • fenwayparkfenwaypark Registered User Posts: 696 Member
    I don't know. AI is a dynamic factor, except for the floor of, what, 176 now? The adequacy of your AI depends on the AI of other teammates/recruits, the AI of other athletes in other sports and the AI of the entire school.

Besides, as another poster has pointed out, we do not know your test scores, which are a major component of AI.

If the coaches keep in touch after they see the transcript you will be sending in, you are probably ok. If communication drops off, that is probably a contrary indicator.
  • highschool217highschool217 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Are you class of 2016 or 2017?
  • 8bagels8bagels Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    Unweighted 3.1 and a D in a course makes admission highly unlikely.

Volleyball isn't football, you'll have to be higher than the 170 floor. Prob around 200-205 minimum (but that's just a guess since it varies by sport and school).

Not sure even a 2400/36 would get you there.

And the D is also an independent deal killer at ivy.

• TheGFGTheGFG Registered User Posts: 6,219 Senior Member
    A question about the index. How do SAT II's get used? I think D's subject test scores will end up relatively stronger than the regular SAT, due to some math difficulty.
  • bluewater2015bluewater2015 Registered User Posts: 564 Member
    If you search the web for academic index calculator there are some good tools out there to estimate AI, including the one at Tier One athletics.
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,442 Forum Champion
    @thegfg, the general formula is lowest GPA appearing on transcript 1/3, SAT or ACT 1/3 and 2 SATIIs (if used)1/3.

In my family's experience the use of SATIIs both for admission purposes and for AI/pre read purposes will vary from school to school. Some schools (Penn sticks out in my mind) said they would only use the SATIIs if they would help a particular recruit. Other schools (Princeton) required that the SATIIs be taken, submitted as part of the pre read and used in the AI calculation. That may have changed now as I believe Princeton no longer requires SATIIs for admission.

In any event, if the school does not use the SATIIs, then the SAT/ACT results are counted as 2/3 of the AI calculation.
  • 8bagels8bagels Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    The Tier 1 AI calculator ended up coming up with an AI that was close to what Ivies calculated for us.

Not exact, but within a point or two.
  • varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,430 Senior Member
    Just an FYI, the new SAT format comes into play this spring, which means going back to the old 1600 point scale. I have a pretty good idea how that will be used in the calculation but have an email in to verify. I'll present that as an option as soon as I can.
  • TheGFGTheGFG Registered User Posts: 6,219 Senior Member
    Yes, I know about those calculators and have used them to get a ballpark figure. However, one college implied they can replace SAT I scores with SAT II if those are better. Does anyone know if that's true?
This discussion has been closed.