Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ivy Track Experience

ivytrack2020ivytrack2020 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Can anybody tell me what the time commitment is to run at a Ivy league college. Also what the overall experience is like for a middle distance runner?

Replies to: Ivy Track Experience

• varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,430 Senior Member
    It's a Division I sport and the NCAA allows 20 countable hours per week or up to 4 hours per day. That doesn't include training room time or getting to and from the practice facility. During season you may be working out for an hour in the morning, 3 hours in the afternoon and traveling on weekends.

The coaches keep their jobs by putting winning teams on the field - so you'll be expected to do your part. Here's a blog post about a day in the life of a Harvard track athlete:
    http://www.tier1athletics.org/2012/05/19/the-athletes-view-a-day-in-the-life/
  • StartingblockStartingblock Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Couple of additional thoughts:

With regard to time commitment, most of the mid-distance guys on my kid’s team are expected to run cross in the fall which means being “in-season” the entire academic year (cross, indoor, outdoor). Not sure your specialty, but if the thought of training for the 8Ks in cross isn’t appealing that might give you something to ask about when talking to coaches/making school choices.

More generally, and to your question about the overall experience of being a mid-distance runner at an Ivy, my freshman son came home for the holidays with a bunch of really great stories about his initial track experience, teammates, and activities. While the academic load and athletic time commitments are huge, it is clear that he and his teammates are finding time to have fun and be college kids.
This discussion has been closed.