Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Golf or Crew?!

Replies to: Golf or Crew?!

• MuselkMuselk Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    thanx #codemachine
  • tonymomtonymom Registered User Posts: 1,002 Senior Member
    Really for HW rowing in D1 schools you need to be 6' or have some very impressive stats if you are smaller than that. Again Ltwt may be an option if you don't get that growth spurt that guys get those early years in HS. Just pace yourself and if you enjoy rowing give it a go. Unfortunately I think golf and rowing have the same season? Spring?
  • NoVADad99NoVADad99 Registered User Posts: 2,291 Senior Member
    If you want to be recruited for crew in college, it's all about your 2k Erg scores.

http://www.rowingrecruiting.com/2014/05/recruiting-2k-erg-scores/
    Yes, golf and rowing are in the same season, #tonymom. That's why I am trying to make a decision before this spring. Let's say a college sees two identical candidates, the only difference is that one plays great golf and the other one rows very well. Who would the college choose? Thanks
  • codemachinecodemachine Registered User Posts: 482 Member
    It's about what you're better at, honestly. You know you're good at golf, and have barely even rowed if at all. By this analysis, the choice is obvious, no?
  • bluewater2015bluewater2015 Registered User Posts: 563 Member
    @tonymom, do schools recruit for both heavyweight and lightweight, or do recruiting/Likely Letter spots tend to be focused on the heavyweight teams? Adding both together, the rosters are so big that I assume there are some walk ons in the mix also, so just curious how it tends to work with the recruiting spots.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,524 Senior Member
    "the only difference is that one plays great golf and the other one rows very well. Who would the college choose? Thanks"

The admissions office doesn't care. The golf coach picks the golfer, the crew coach picks the rower. The question is are you that choice and can that coach get you through the admissions office. You are in 8th grade. No way for anyone to know.

Pick the sport you like.
  • ErenYeagerErenYeager Registered User Posts: 537 Member
    Pick the sport you like.
    @bluewater2015
    Not all schools that have rowing have both HW and Ltwt; you need to research. Those that do function as separate teams and recruit separately. Additionally some teams encourage walk-ins and others do not.
    Best route is to find a school that a student is interested in and then look to the rowing program.
    Figuring out where a rower "fits" size wise involves many factors. HS coaches can be helpful.
    Thanks #tonymom,#ErenYeager. Can you tell me more about rowing and golf at ivy universities or the Northeast as a whole. I'd also like to know more about Stanford and such. #codemachine, when do people usually start rowing?
  • codemachinecodemachine Registered User Posts: 482 Member
    To be competitive, freshman year. Allows you to get in proper shape to be ready for recruitment by your junior year, I'd say. I've been golfing for most of my life (on different levels, of course), so I was ready to walk on course my freshman year of high school.

P.S., to have mentions put directly in the inbox of posters, type @ and then their screen name.
    @ Muselk
    Check out the thread "The rowing class of 2017 recruiting thread" for some very helpful info.
  • bluewater2015bluewater2015 Registered User Posts: 563 Member
    Thanks tonymom.

I was wondering if perhaps there might be more walk-ons in lightweight just because there are a lot more people around that size than there are the taller folks that seem to populate the competitive heavyweight teams. I came across this article that seems to say that's the case at Dartmouth anyway at least as of the time of the article. I'm not sure how true this is of other schools though.

http://thedartmouth.com/2009/10/19/walk-ons-walk-into-success/
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 4,490 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    @Muselk,
    Some general information-

If you're looking at rowing heavyweight at a competitive D1 school you'll need to be quite tall. Here's Yale's HW roster including heights. The 5'8"-5'9" men are all coxswains.
    http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-crewhvy/2015-16/roster

As you can see, of the 40 or so rowers on the roster 7 are 6'8" and only 5 are 6'1" or 6'0".

You can be a shorter LW rower but taller is still better as long as you can stay under 160 lbs.

D3 rowers are often a bit shorter so if you were to grow but not be exceptionally tall a NESCAC school might be a good option.
    http://athletics.trincoll.edu/sports/mrowing/2014-15/roster

Take a look at your mom and dad. Are they tall? If so, you might have quite a lot of growing to do.

In any case, I'd advise you to do the sport you prefer. The odds of either sport getting you into an Ivy League school are quite remote, so why not enjoy your sport?
    @bluewater2015
    The only school which really talked up walk ons when we toured as a family was Princeton. They have a very big roster. Most Ltwt programs seem to get 6-9 slots for recruited athletes with the majority of those being filled by EA/ED. You can always try asking the coaches directly their position on walk ons and they may be forthcoming. My sense is that in some respects Ltwt programs may be more competitive in terms of recruiting slots than HW just because there aren't as many programs available. Just a hunch tho..
This discussion has been closed.